Aluminium!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arturobandini

Regular.
Reaction score
Apart from it's ******* status as it's not as shiny as stainless steel, is there any reason why more people don't go down the Aluminium route?

fear .... (whether perceived or real) of alzeimer's is one that springs to mind

I thought the Alzheimers accusation was debunked or did I imagine that...I can't remember....bdoom tish!

Ok, I'll still be angling for my stainless steel pot.

Provided you are careful there is little reason why you cannot use aluminium pots . . . . Acid dissolves the oxide coating rather easily as does caustic . . . and caustic in contact with aluminium is a reaction you have to see to believe . . . Or not . . . I have a pot with some holes in caused by contact with caustic.

The myth that Al causes Alzheimers has been debunked conclusively, basically brain tissues from alzheimers patients were high in Aluminium . . . what they forgot was that the treatment used to preserve the tissue contained . . . aluminium :?

I just got a small 4 gallon ali boiler, cause it already had a tap already on it and it was £25. Not sure if i'm gona spend loads of dosh on proper set up (yer like thats really not gona happen :) , so if i shouldnt use traditional sterilising power what should i use to clean?

A non scratch scouring pad, hot water and elbow grease are your best options :thumb:

My liquor tun/boil kettle is a alu Vogue stock pot from nisbets. VERY happy with it, and cheap compaired to SS.

bolty said:
My liquor tun/boil kettle is a alu Vogue stock pot from nisbets. VERY happy with it, and cheap compaired to SS.

Bloody easier to work with as well

/me nurses his hands of scars and cuts.

If I ever need a new HLT I would imagine I'd go for alluminium. The vessels are strong and cheap and an HLT can be cleaned with hot and cold water alone, pretty much.

My copper will be stainless steel because I can imagine cleaning it with all manner of chemicals and nasty stuff in time. I often leave it full of hops and trub for up to a week :roll:

I have a 30L aluminium pot that I boiled wort in over a ten year period before I moved up to 60L stainless steel boiler for full on AG brewing. The old ali pot is in great condition on the outside but badly pitted on the inside. I guess aluminium has its limitations.

I have been brewing in aluminium for more than 15 years. Never a problem
Built my new 40 gallon system with Aluminium

Brewstructure2a.jpg

Latest posts

Back