Best book on English ales?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loetz

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good book that would teach me a bit about the history and character of the ales of England. Any suggestions?

I don't own Brewing Classic Styles or Designing Great Beers. Would those books be enough?

Not sure about the history, but brewing beers like those you buy has plenty of English ale recipes...granted they're all nearly the same recipe, hahah...

Designing great beers is a good book it does explain the history of a lot of styles American and european as well as english. My only complaint is that it is a bit american buit that may be my prejudice being english :oops: :oops: .

A great book and one which i refer to a lot.

However for a book of recipes then Brew Your Own British Real Ale by Wheeler is a must have. :thumb:

Without a doubt it has to be Amber, Gold and Black by Martyn Cornell.

If you want to go deeper still then anything by Ron Pattinson.

Designing Great Beers givers very little historical perspective on the various beer styles. It's a pretty good book but not one of my favorites.

I'm a big fan of the Classic Beer Styles series.

Pale Ale (http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/pale-ale-second-edition/ and Porter (http://www.brewerspublications.com/books/porter/ by Terry Foster are both very good books with a great deal about the history and development of the styles.

I just recently go IPA (http://www.brewerspublications.com/...-recipes-and-the-evolution-of-india-pale-ale/) by Mitch Steele. This new addition to the series is also very good.

I hope this helps.

- Scott

I know this is an old thread. But I figured I'd ask my question here instead of strating a new one.
Which book would recommend, Brew Your Own British Real Ale, by Graham Wheeler or Brewing British-Style Beers: by Dave Line ?
Dan

Dave Lines book is great . . . but out of date . . . . by 40 years!!! So if you want to create beers of the 70's BBLTYB is the one to go for.

Even though it has been 'updated' and re released Roy Ekins didn't update the ingredients to what is available today, and many of the ingredients are just plain 'wierd'

I've had Dave Line's book since the mid 90s and I'm getting Graham Wheeler's book for Xmas (as well as the frequently-heralded 'Yeast' book by White/Jamil).

I really loved Dave Line's at the time and did a few of the extract recipes. I got a decent Old Peculiar the second time I did it, with tweaks, though I wouldn't say it was a 'clone'. It looked out of date then, but availability of both ingredients and information have moved on so much since that I am really looking forward to getting into a fairly up to date book that so many on here recommend. :cheers:

An interesting one that I've never seen mentioned is 'A Year of Beer', compiled by Amahl Turczyn. It's essentially a collection of 260 'Seasonal Homebrew Recipes' that won various competitions in the USA (in the late 90s), with some judges comments and methodological notes. It's fully American, with everything in lb/oz, US gallons, brewed by people called Randy and Zak etc etc :D , but I always enjoy picking it up and browsing. It's grouped by styles. Not sure how widely available. Oh yes...and the British Ales are in there too.

Latest posts

Back