Bottles - Carb and Condition times

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicks

Reaction score
In my Greg Hughes recipe book it gives an idea of "Ready to drink" in weeks and also a Conditioning time also shown in weeks. This works out to a week in the fermenting bin and then the rest of the time conditioning to reach the "Ready to drink" week. I'm a little confused as to where my process fits in as I normally go something like this...

• 2 weeks in fermenter
  • 2 weeks in bottles in the warm 20/22C to carbonate up indoors.
  • Move to garage for conditioning at 13C.

If the recipe says 4 weeks conditioning I'm inclined to leave in the garage for 4 weeks till I think it's ready, do I count some of my extra week in the fermenting bin and 2 weeks carbonating towards my conditioning?

i.e. a recipe says ready to drink 5 weeks but it takes me 8 weeks.

I know it's all subjective and down to the taste at the end of the day. Basically I want to be able to tuck in as soon as possible, my scientific/patient brain says otherwise

I like most go with:

2 weeks in FV
2 weeks in the bottle at 20C
2 weeks in the garage at cooler temps.

After this I give one a go, if it's still a bit green I leave it another week and try again.

Best thing is to have a few brews on the go so you always have stock, which allows you a bit more time to let each batch mature.

I like most go with:

2 weeks in the garage at cooler temps.

After this I give one a go, if it's still a bit green I leave it another week and try again.

Thanks, I'll give this approach a try, I have plenty of stock in the garage now.

I'm in the 2 weeks, 2 weeks, 2 weeks camp too..then taste and allow to condition further if it needs it..

Good point...if I'm doing a much heavier beer eg an 6.5% Porter or an 8% Scotch Ale I will usually leave for 2 or 3 months...my 8% Scotch ale mellows out after 3 months.

Lack of patience really is a nightmare, how often is the last bottle the best bottle, and you wish you had left some alone to mature properly??

+1

good stock is the key as mentioned before. Although hoppy beers best drunk younger, wheat beers the jury is out on that for me, but darker/stronger beers need longer.

Lack of patience really is a nightmare, how often is the last bottle the best bottle, and you wish you had left some alone to mature properly??

A few brews I've done 2w FV, 4w in a keg then 6w in a bottle. Even a 4% pale ale improves immeasurably with lengthy conditioning.

In the flip side the wait is torture

Mmmm you guys have such self discipline. I do three weeks in FV, and then bottle. I feel after that saintly patience I've earned the right to crack the first bottle after four days...

My way of getting round that is to have a mammoth brewing session over Christmas and get my drinkable stock up to 200. Then conditioning doesn't become so painful

Yeah I've adopted that approach now too. Three 10l brews on the go now. However I try so many different types I can barely wait to see how my latest 'new masterpiece' has turned out - noting the obvious contradiction that they're far from their best when I first give in to temptation...

It's brewer's privilege though isn't it, as nobody else even comes close to being sufficiently qualified to taste our beer

Latest posts

Back