Brewing an IPA with lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the-erl

Reaction score
We're currently in mid winter down here in Auckland and I'm keen to get another IPA brew on. It doesn't really get too cold down here but it is just outside the ideal range. I haven't got a fermenting fridge as I've very little room, just a small area just off the hallway. The temp is pretty consistent, it sits around 14 to 16 (too cold for an ale yeast) but I was wondering if I could use a lager yeast? Has anyone tried this? :hmm:

Erl

can't answer your question directly, but at those temps an ale yeast wrapped up in a duvet would work fine surely.

the-erl said:
We're currently in mid winter down here in Auckland and I'm keen to get another IPA brew on. It doesn't really get too cold down here but it is just outside the ideal range. I haven't got a fermenting fridge as I've very little room, just a small area just off the hallway. The temp is pretty consistent, it sits around 14 to 16 (too cold for an ale yeast) but I was wondering if I could use a lager yeast? Has anyone tried this? :hmm:

Erl

Brupak do a kit called Linthwaite light which I've made twice and is excellent . In their instructions it states that it would make a fine lager if brewed with a lager yeast.

I can't see any reason why it wouldn't make a decent beer, lots of people use US05 which is pretty clean and burton IPAs have a bit of sulphur about them. I think it seems like a lot of hassle to properly lager it though.

It has been done commercially. I thought this was OK when I tried it the other week.

leedsbrew did a bierre de garde with mauribrew lager yeast at 15c and I think it turned out OK.

Thanks everyone, I could probably get away with a duvet as suggested or a small heater and normal ale yeast, but it sounds like it'll work so I think I'll give it a go anyway and see what happens! :D
Erl :drink:

the-erl said:
Thanks everyone, I could probably get away with a duvet as suggested or a small heater and normal ale yeast, but it sounds like it'll work so I think I'll give it a go anyway and see what happens! :D
Erl :drink:

If you brew an IPA with Lager yeast It wont be an IPA it will be a Hoppy "Lager" US05 or Calale would be a better choice, or even Burton Ale Yeast, which gives very clean beers when fermented at 15-18 Deg C.

UP

You can also try and use a Dusseldorf style Alt yeast. I just did a steam beer with it at similair temps and it came out good.

I have used lager yeasts at higher temps than recommended, but only up to 14`C. I would be hesitant to use a pure lager ueast at 16`C. I would rather take my chance with a big pitch of ale yeast if I cuold not get hold of a San Francisco steam beer yeast or a Alt yeast.

Back