Bri's fermentation thingy WIP

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
without fans moving the air about it will trend to be warmer up top and cooler below, Now that may be a beneficial state in some circumstances. simply sitting a couple of basic thermometers in the fridge (one at top and one below) and check after 12-24 hours running will quickly tell you if im right ;), ok perhaps not quikley ;)

what i would do with that set up would be to cut a hole in each shelf and pop a fan undr each and either blow both upward or both downward to try and form a circulation movement of air.

Fitting the fans at the rear and under the shelves should keep them well out of the way.

with the fans fitted you can always select to not run em. but if you dont fit em you dont have any options..

fwiw i use standard sub £1 80mm black plastic pc fans with the black red and yellow wires terminated in a 4pin molex plug or splitter. the type you find attached to the cheapest PC desktop and tower cases.

No need at all to invest in quiet whisper fans as they will be sealed up in the fridge. Not sat on/under a desk..

before buying fans it might be worth checking the loft or garage for an old 8088 , 286,386, or pentium puter case you can raid.. ;)

Just in case.. ;)
the pc case fans will run on any dc voltage between 5 and 12v, they draw milliwatts so even with 2 running the most basic 500ma psu will drive them.

the pc case fans have 3 wires Black -ve, Red +5v, and yellow +12v

so if you power supply is 5v or lower wire the fans up with +ve from the psu to Red(+5v) and -ve from the PSU to Black on the fans.

If the DC power supply is between 6-12v then use the yellow wire on the fan not red for the +ve power ;)

Just in case.. ;)
the pc case fans will run on any dc voltage between 5 and 12v, they draw milliwatts so even with 2 running the most basic 500ma psu will drive them.

the pc case fans have 3 wires Black -ve, Red +5v, and yellow +12v

so if you power supply is 5v or lower wire the fans up with +ve from the psu to Red(+5v) and -ve from the PSU to Black on the fans.

If the DC power supply is between 6-12v then use the yellow wire on the fan not red for the +ve power ;)

Yeahhh! I'm all over it like tramps on chips!!
5 hrs with my pal who has build my pc from scratch and done my internet suite setup, both the set of fans are from him!! And more kettleleads I can use..
These new one are
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/corsair-air-series-sp120-quiet-edition-120mm-fan-twin-pack-a11nq
Most of time was getting my head around actually how I can fit them...not the cooling Theory as you know that so man permutations but like you say, basically angled air up n down..
I
His-mine set up with removable fans (minimal screwing or gluing)
And the two fan setup can be upgraded after tweaking the temps as you suggest!!
Unlike pc fans heatssink the components these fans will cool the area, without a back plate...but a 'L' shape collar each end.
The thing is how much effort, how many permutations etc to gain the best result...maybe some would argue the fans arnt need at all...I'll leave that view coz it's all personal point of view lol
But!!!.....coz I've got the fans and how to set them up...why not?
Like I said is 5 hrs my pal making a cardboard mock up of a scaled down fridge and paper to put the fans in...once I was show!! Piece of cake ha ha ha!! You know how I function lol
Be this late afternoon before I get anymore done on my project(s) so you can chill without my ramblings..for now lol

Still got the small fridge to finish, beer line onto the corni setup..and tidy up and make the man cave looking like not a bomb shelter!

Saw these USB fans which might be usefull as they can probably be powered of a normal USB plug. [emoji2]

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S5, Quiet Dual 80mm USB Fan for Receiver DVR Playstation Xbox Computer Cabinet Cooling https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00IJ2J2K0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Thx pal,
I've just got a pair of fan for nowt!
Bonus! I've got the PSU, long lead and the leads for the fan installation etc.
The only thing I need is luck!! lol I'll get there..like I said in my threads once I've been shown I get onto it and fathom out if I can do it with one hand and my duff hand as a 'club' or grip (mind the grip is only 5% for now!)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha, Bri my man I think your overthinking the fan issue and then some.

rather than considering it a surgical procedure where every nook and cranny is deserving of a full force blast of air

instead just stick the fan or fans in out of the way spots with out any obstructions.. commercial fridges have fans that blow down over the cold radiator,

when knocking up my fridge (a bit smaller than optimum) both my heater and fan ended up near the top of the void as otherwise they wouldnt fit in.. ands it works a treat ;)

the fans only need to move the air the moving air will then 'knock' into more air and move that etc.....
8440787792_0ef361f03f_z.jpg

Just dont epoxy the fans to the thin shell like i did DOH!!

Ha, Bri my man I think your overthinking the fan issue and then some.

rather than considering it a surgical procedure where every nook and cranny is deserving of a full force blast of air

instead just stick the fan or fans in out of the way spots with out any obstructions.. commercial fridges have fans that blow down over the cold radiator,

when knocking up my fridge (a bit smaller than optimum) both my heater and fan ended up near the top of the void as otherwise they wouldnt fit in.. ands it works a treat ;)

the fans only need to move the air the moving air will then 'knock' into more air and move that etc.....
8440787792_0ef361f03f_z.jpg

Just dont epoxy the fans to the thin shell like i did DOH!!

I know what ya saying, tbh I'm not over doing it...just bang one at the top one at the bottom..heating as usual..jobs a goodun..
Your pic was just one of the options I could do..like it pal.
Tbh there too many options to try but at the end of day, one has to work and now I've got my teeth into it! (And 5hrs talking and being show all the options by my pal) this will have to work ha ha!!!
If I fanny now I'll get frustrated confused and prob knack it up...ya know how I am!!
Great that you mention 'over thinking' I done that yesterday and now I look at your plan it sinks in....
Btw our-my Ag system is out of retirement and starting to be looked at after a cuppa...all the way from Scotland, 217 mile yesterday..
Time for plugging the heater and the icebird etc on!!!
Thx again for your guidance pal, appreciate it -:)

My poor old heater and my brew fridge is struggling to keep temps up out in my shed with all this cold weather. Just about maintaining 18oC which is perfect for starting off a Vermont ale. But I hope the temperatures rise up a bit in the next 4 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Been thinking..(ohhh! What's he up to now?)
If the small fridge is to be used for cooling the bottles and corni keg, don't I use the thermostat instead of a inkbird-heater?
Getting the right temp my using the dials..
Mind I've set up for inkbird n heater just incase I want to brew lager and the tall fridge is being used!
Thx

If the small fridge is to be used for cooling the bottles and corni keg, don't I use the thermostat instead of a inkbird-heater?

Hi!
You will have more flexibility with the small fridge controlled by the Inkbird. As you said, you could be fermenting a lager low and slow with full control over the temperature.
Frustrating day today - walked the dogs early to get going on wiring up my control panel for the recirculating mash system, but was called in to the club to deal with a problem and have to go back at 1.00pm. Bo***cks!

Hi!
You will have more flexibility with the small fridge controlled by the Inkbird. As you said, you could be fermenting a lager low and slow with full control over the temperature.
Frustrating day today - walked the dogs early to get going on wiring up my control panel for the recirculating mash system, but was called in to the club to deal with a problem and have to go back at 1.00pm. Bo***cks!

Not good pal!!
I'm sort of wiring with the fan set up!
But like u went to wickes to get some stuff!! Where my wallet bo***cks!!
All the way home n back...then realised not nuff brackets!! Doo!!
Let is how you get on pal

Had nuff since 6am...jiggered!! Lol
Why is the inkbird bloody difficult with two hand let alone one!
Small fridge on the heater plug up..bottles to chill..
Thx for viewing

Latest posts

Back