Counterflow chiller design question, regarding brass...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

judasegg

Reaction score
Hey, making a counterflow chiller, because I'm new to brewing and apparently like over-engineering and spending buttloads at B&Q and online :) So, my question is, I am using John Guest Speedfit hose connectors to connect garden hose to chiller, outlet for water, and outlet for chilled wort. The Speedfit fittings are only supposed to be used for liquids up to 65 Celsius.

However, for the wort inlet (boiling wort coming into chiller), I'm going to be dealing with boiling liquid, presumably at greater temps than 65. Can I use a brass hosetail for this???!? I'm not sure about brass and leeching of chemicals due to heat/ph? I see there are some sexy nickel-plated brass hosetails, but I doubt those would be a good plan...unless I like nickelbrew.

Cheers.

All brass, nickel, and stainless steel components are compatible with the wort at those temperatures.

By the way try JTM Plumbing on the net for much, much cheaper parts and fast delivery and avoid anything from B & Q like the plague (unless you like wasting your money).

Also, for outlet taps for vessels try [email protected]. Marty there is highly helpful and makes great fitting for vessels.

Cheers,

Brian Spencer.

avoid anything from B & Q like the plague (unless you like wasting your money

:clap: :clap:

I have given up going there, I got fed up with finding goods and then just could not bring myself to pay their price. Convenience is not worth that much to me. ;)

I like the prices at B.E.S. but I struggling with their on line catalog. ;) :D

The best I've found is http://www.jtmplumbing.co.uk/, like I mentioned in above reply. Example: isolation valves 15mm £1.10 each compared with more like £5 at B&Q. The difference adds up if you're buying a lot, especially of such things like Yorkshire fittings, Ts and bends. Site is easy to use and the postage costs are very reasonable. I've never heard of B.E.S. but I'll take a look. Anything to bring the cost of that pint down.

Springer said:
I like the prices at B.E.S. but I struggling with their on line catalog. ;) :D
I like BES, but I always blink when it comes to paying . . . As for the on line catalogue . . . I use the paper based one to decide what I want, and then go on line . . . much easier

Aleman said:
As for the on line catalogue . . . I use the paper based one to decide what I want, and then go on line . . . much easier
Ever ordered from CPC? Almost impossible without their catalogue, which is thicker than any of my textbooks!

Also, did you see the latest stuff in my boiler thread regarding high frequency switching of an SSR via PWM to control element power?

Tim

Latest posts

Back