East Durham Brewery Project

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope it works out, I really do, but to be honest, if I were EDBP, I would use the garage to keep bikes in. As a commercial beer brewing location, it will never reach let alone exceed FSA regs. My advice would be to quit whilst he is ahead (though I'm not really sure what has been achieved so far, apart from an easily swept garage floor). Don't want to put a downer on enthusiasm, but this project, from the start, is in my opinion flawed. The reason I have come to this conclusion: it leaks, it has no running piped water, no obvious means of disposal of waste water (and there will be plenty from the brewing process), no power, no permissions from all the relevant bodies, and no market. Sorry EDBP, if you want to brew, do it for yourself and your mates, don't try to sell it. As an aside, your beer has to be good enough, and better than, already available local brews. Have you checked out any competition you might have? Have you brewed anything that might compare?

I hope it works out, I really do, but to be honest, if I were EDBP, I would use the garage to keep bikes in. As a commercial beer brewing location, it will never reach let alone exceed FSA regs. My advice would be to quit whilst he is ahead (though I'm not really sure what has been achieved so far, apart from an easily swept garage floor). Don't want to put a downer on enthusiasm, but this project, from the start, is in my opinion flawed. The reason I have come to this conclusion: it leaks, it has no running piped water, no obvious means of disposal of waste water (and there will be plenty from the brewing process), no power, no permissions from all the relevant bodies, and no market. Sorry EDBP, if you want to brew, do it for yourself and your mates, don't try to sell it. As an aside, your beer has to be good enough, and better than, already available local brews. Have you checked out any competition you might have? Have you brewed anything that might compare?

Man, your such a downer! Go EDBP! :party:

Would he get enough brews done in a year to be able not just to compete with, but be better than the opposition? In a leaky garage with no water or power? I wouldn't want to hold shares in it, put it that way. As I said, can't fault enthusiasm, and wouldn't want to, but there has to be a dose of reality somewhere, surely?

I hope it works out, I really do, but to be honest, if I were EDBP, I would use the garage to keep bikes in. As a commercial beer brewing location, it will never reach let alone exceed FSA regs.

Afraid I had to stop there. The garage is never intended to be a commercial location. I've repeated this many times now. Its a place for me to learn the process in my spare time UNTIL I make a decision whether to make a business out of this or not.

Sadly, the spare time that I would usually have had has been eaten up due to another business of mine which had an unexpected change of circumstance. And I'm now taking steps to ensure that doesn't happen again.

I love the idea! im lucky i have a basement

If there's one thing I want to get out of this, its some fun.

I can fund the whole thing myself (so nobody else's money will be at risk), but I'm buggered if I'm going to be negative about things.

Realism is fine, but I'm going to walk into every decision with a smile on my face, not fear in my heart.

And fair play to you for that. Good luck in your endeavours and here's hoping. To brew to a standard viable for a commercial venture should you decide it is for you to go down this route I still think will be a challenge given the issues I posted previously, but you won't know if you don't try.

The house renovation is predictably taking far longer than expected. As we try to fix one problem, we uncover 2 more.
Took a month off work to get it done, and predictably woke up with man-flu this morning. My luck will change............. one day.

Inevitably, I'm going to end up free just in time for the garage to be far too cold to brew anything other than lager. So likely that this is on hold until spring now.

I will wait for the next episode with bated breath. :wink:

Edit to add - why not use you kitchen for the first few brews?

Back