East Durham Brewery Project

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The house renovation is predictably taking far longer than expected. As we try to fix one problem, we uncover 2 more.
Took a month off work to get it done, and predictably woke up with man-flu this morning. My luck will change............. one day.

Inevitably, I'm going to end up free just in time for the garage to be far too cold to brew anything other than lager. So likely that this is on hold until spring now.

Do you not have electricity in this garage (I don't have the inclination to look through 120+ posts to see if you've already answered this!)?

If you do then temperature is hardly an issue as it's easy enough to keep a brew at the right temperature. Also I always find summer the most difficult time to brew due to flies everywhere. Never a problem in winter.

I went to a 'tasting' session a few weeks ago for a new micro-brewery in Newcastle. They had huge aspirations and had some reasonable beers - a nice APA called 'Newcastle IPA'. The funny thing is the father and son outfit are brand new brewers, having first begun brewing in February this year with one can kits. Nevertheless, they are already selling their beer in markets, at events like the tasting session which was held in an art gallery and they have applied for a premises license to sell direct from their 'brewery' a small industrial unit near the Quayside in Newcastle upon Tyne. What struck me about this outfit - and made me think they WILL succeed is that they have excellent marketing ability and can talk people into buying their beer. Although the beer was certainly not quite as good as my Geterbrewed Hoppy APA, and I mean DEFINITELY not -it was beautifully presented, with artist designed, classy looking labels and sold over the counter. The key thing about making a business work is to get on with it and to sell the stuff in large volumes. The joke is these guys can sell far more beer than they can make. They only have a Braumaester 50 litre outfit and they hardly have enough space to keep it long enough to condition fully. They are making 300 bottles a week, but they have everything in place - licenses - commitment - sales and design. They do have a proper premises though. I'm not sure how environmental health departments feel about damp lock up garages as premises suitable for producing food and drink.

Check their site out. You've got to give them full marks for cheek having started with a one can kit nine months ago :)

http://newcastleisbrewing.co.uk/our-beers/

http://newcastleisbrewing.co.uk/where-we-brew/

http://newcastleisbrewing.co.uk/about/

mikeleopromo-300x199.jpg

EDITED to remove price list - sorry for the rule breaking! :eek:

With the other business finally reaching the light at the end of the tunnel, I thought it was about time to make some beer.

The garage is far too cold, so I moved some kit back to the house, and made a small batch of a light ale - as much as a run through of the process than a serious attempt at making a nice beer.
Just about managed to make some volume marks on the boil pan, learned a bit about evaporation and found that my aeration plan worked as expected.

I think I might close this account soon though - I've got everything I need to get started now - all of the info I needed is in place, and I received a ton of other advise along the way.
Maybe I'll re-register as a person and get more into recipes etc.

So a big thanks from me, and bye for now.

So after all the waiting you leave. No sticking round to tell us how it's going? Surely it makes better marketing sense if you stuck around and gave us some updates etc

With the other business finally reaching the light at the end of the tunnel, I thought it was about time to make some beer.

The garage is far too cold, so I moved some kit back to the house, and made a small batch of a light ale - as much as a run through of the process than a serious attempt at making a nice beer.
Just about managed to make some volume marks on the boil pan, learned a bit about evaporation and found that my aeration plan worked as expected.

I think I might close this account soon though - I've got everything I need to get started now - all of the info I needed is in place, and I received a ton of other advise along the way.
Maybe I'll re-register as a person and get more into recipes etc.

So a big thanks from me, and bye for now.

Good luck to you mate, hope it all goes to plan.
Don't delete though, keep us posted.

We have all been on the edge of our seats waiting for the first brew in the garage and now you are leaving, i am starting the We want T.E.D.B.P campaign here and now. :wink:

I even invited him to my house to do a brew as his garage wasnt any good, Jesus after all this time manages a brew somewhere says nothing and is going to leave! fmg :whistle:

We have all been on the edge of our seats waiting for the first brew in the garage and now you are leaving, i am starting the We want T.E.D.B.P campaign here and now. :wink:

I even invited him to my house to do a brew as his garage wasnt any good, Jesus after all this time manages a brew somewhere says nothing and is going to leave! fmg :whistle:

I have my first member, welcome aboard Steve. :lol:

WTF are you serious, god dam it after all this time no brews and you leave

tbh, I thought you'd all be sick to death of my (non) updates! And now its winter, I can't do much for another 4+ months of any worth (it was always a spring-autumn plan).

I'm going to mess around in my kitchen a few times, but in reality, I don't have the space to do anything meaningful here. So eitherway, there's going to be very little to say until about April.

Quite unsatisfactory all round, really. Bah.

tbh, I thought you'd all be sick to death of my (non) updates! And now its winter, I can't do much for another 4+ months of any worth (it was always a spring-autumn plan).

I'm going to mess around in my kitchen a few times, but in reality, I don't have the space to do anything meaningful here. So eitherway, there's going to be very little to say until about April.

Quite unsatisfactory all round, really. Bah.

C'mon you can't give up now!

Latest posts

Back