First Brew Problems

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dronnybrewer

Reaction score
I started my first brew of Wilko Hoppy Copper Biiter on 02/01/2015. My first hydrometer reading was 1040. I have taken readings every 2 days since and the reading seems to have stopped at 1020. Doesnt seem to be much going on in the tank either, I had a nice foamy top to start with but it looked very flat when I checked last night. I am 7 days in now. Am I being too impatient? Should I leave it untouched for a couple of weeks? Cant see it getting down to the magical 1008.

Sounds to me like you've got a stuck fermentation. Move it somewhere slightly warmer and give a gentle stir.

Some people on here also suggest adding 1.5tsp yeast nutrient.

Thanks mate. Going to get some yeast nutrient today. Will transfer it to a warmer place also.

There are loads of threads on here about stuck fermentations. Look at those too first for a second opinion before taking action.

Let us know how you get on!

As others have said, sounds like it's stuck, which isn't surprising this time of year: Wilko kits are manufactured by Muntons who are notorious for stuck brews (e.g. Wherry), combine that with the low house temperatures in winter and it's a perfect recipe for a 1020 stuck brew.

Next time you make any kit made by Muntons (read the small print, it usually says who manufactured the product) add a teaspoon or two of yeast nutrient at the start, prior to pitching the yeast, then wrap the FV up with a sleeping bag to keep the temp in - this has always worked for me, had stuck brews before I started doing this, never since. :thumb:

My second brew stuck. I gave it a gentle stir with the paddle that came with the starter kit and it got going again. That was 5 days ago at about 1.021 and today on day 12 it is 1.015 but there is still signs of activity. 4%abv and Im hoping for a little more, ideally 1.010 which would be 4.6%. The kit said it should be be 4.4 but I brewed it about 20.5 litre to be 10%ish short so was hoping for close to 5%.

If you don't have any joy get a packet of gervin ale yeast from Wilko and put that in. Add it to some water at 30C in a sterilized jug, cover it and leave for 30 mins, then add to FV and stir gently.

Hi Donnybrewer

You have probably got a couple of things going on here.
As a home brewer you need lots of patience, I tend to start a brew off then pretty much forget about it for next two to three weeks.

I am guessing that your room temperature is a little low, always a problem at this time of year.
I tend to use a belt heater around my fermenting vessel to help maintain a constant temperature.
Placed around the middle of the FV seams to be about 24c and made some good beers.

I have this helps and wish you all the best with your new hobby.

Thanks to all again. Got some nutrient from a local home brew shop in Chesterfield. Also had a chat and got some valuable advice from the guy there. Also called into a new shop in Dronfield called the beer stop to purchase some beers and had a chat with the guy there as well. Gained some great advice from both and sampled a couple of beers while I was in each shop.:p I added the nutrient on Saturday and I am now going to leave completely alone until Friday. I will update you with reading then.

Pleased to report that I have left well alone for the last 6 days and got a reading of 1010 today. Should I leave for another week or check for similar reading tomorrow?

check the hydrometer in water and ensure it reads close to 0.. the paper tubes in hydrometer necks have been known to shift especially after cleaning in too hot water which can loosed the glue used.

I have been criticised for this on another forum, but I never take gravity readings at all. My recipes gives me an idea of the IBU and ABV and that is enough for me. For me using a glass FV makes it quite easy to see what is going on. I can look at the airlock as well as the wort itself. There are a couple of interesting fermentation stages, which I have used over time to tell when things are done. I know this is probably quite stupid, but it has worked for me for the past two years.

Unless my supplies are running low, I will easily leave an ale for 3 weeks and lagers for 4+ weeks. I have never (touch wood) had an issue with a stuck fermentation.

I have been criticised for this on another forum, but I never take gravity readings at all. My recipes gives me an idea of the IBU and ABV and that is enough for me. For me using a glass FV makes it quite easy to see what is going on. I can look at the airlock as well as the wort itself. There are a couple of interesting fermentation stages, which I have used over time to tell when things are done. I know this is probably quite stupid, but it has worked for me for the past two years.

Unless my supplies are running low, I will easily leave an ale for 3 weeks and lagers for 4+ weeks. I have never (touch wood) had an issue with a stuck fermentation.
Totally agree, you should leave it to ferment for a min of 2 weeks, before you even start to take readings. Yeast goes through quite a few stages before it finishes fermenting..2 weeks is a minimum, even under ideal temps

Pleased to report that I have left well alone for the last 6 days and got a reading of 1010 today. Should I leave for another week or check for similar reading tomorrow?
Hi Dronnybrewer.

My advice would be to leave well alone for another week, as you will be sure that your brew has finished fermentation and it does not really matter if it takes 14 or 21 days for this stage to complete.

As a home brewer patience is key to making a good beer and is probably most important at the conditioning stage.
Most kits will tell you to condition your beer for about 21 days, but if you can leave it for 4- 6 weeks or longer you end up with a much better beer.

I hope this helps and good luck with your Wilko copper hoppy bitter, I have made that one myself and it turned out to be a nice pint.

Back