First time AG brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stonegrey

Reaction score
Evening all.

I'm planning my first AG brew, now i have had gained confidence from kits, and have a decent stock of beer to drink.

what is the bear minimum equipment i can get away with to "have a go"?

Brew in a bag is cheapest. Boiler, chiller, and a large bag custom made to the size of your boiler. Makes great ag beer! To cheapen it further, google the no chill method.

Either way its likely to be £100+, as a rough idea...

thanks for the advice Rob.

judjing by what i've read here, would a burco be big enough?
Does anyone here use an LPG boiler, as opposed to an electric one?

RobWalker said:
£100+ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I make 15 litre batches using BIAB method, a 19 litre stock pot is less than £20 on ebay, and you can either make a bag for less than £5 or buy one for less than £10. I cool the pot in the bath full of cold water

hi stoneygrey, i live in bristol and brew ag, will be doing a brew either this weekend or weekend after, i am only an hour away, welcome to pop over and have a look, you need a boiler which can be made from a fv, larger than normal would be preferred, a mash tun, convert a cheap picnic box and a bit of copper piping for that, and if possible a wort chiller to cool the beer once boiled and a fv to do the usual, do you intend to do 23lt batches or smaller?
be warned it takes a few hours to do AG approx 6 hours, well thats my av time from start to finish

Duncs said:
RobWalker said:
£100+ :eek: :eek: :eek:

I make 15 litre batches using BIAB method, a 19 litre stock pot is less than £20 on ebay, and you can either make a bag for less than £5 or buy one for less than £10. I cool the pot in the bath full of cold water

I make 2 gallon batches that way myself, but I thought we were talking about full size for some reason. You are right though, mini BIAB is extremely cheap! I get away with not using a cooler by using a food safe fermenting bucket and submerging in cold water a few times. You probably don't even need to do that, just pitch when it's cool :)

Im building an AG setup myself.

So far i have bought :-

2 Tesco's kettles, £5 each

Scrounged from work, friends and elsewhere :-

Found ;) (at work) 2 x 15mm compresion ball valves (cost £5.38 each)
2 x 15mm tank connectors, (cost £4 each)
A 1mtre length of 15mm copper pipe, (2mtr cost £6)
4x 15mm elbows (cost £2.40)
2x 15mm T's (£2 each)
2 x 33lt Mango barrels from the local Indian takeaway,
30lt coolbox (£20) not got that myself yet as i may be usin the second mango barrel as a mashtun :hmm:

So a full AG setup would cost aproximately £50 DIY build minus a seperate wort boiler!

This is going to be my starting setup anyway

So it shouldn't cost a fortune :thumb:

Andy

Latest posts

Back