Grainfather 1st use opinions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawlo7671

Regular.
Reaction score
So today i did a simple brew using the GF for the first time, 3.8K pilsner malt, 43g saaz 60min, protofloc @ 15min and 14g saaz @ 5min.
Well that was the plan !

I hope its down to me been a bit of a newbie and maybe a dodgy connect unit.

Ok so here's how it went, I decided to clean the thing before first use so manually set the temp to 65C, all good until it got to about 56C and the pump just came on for no apparent reason, didn't touch it didn't have the app open or phone on me at the time, the green pump light came on and the pump ran, I thought nothing of it and put it down to newness or something, I carried on and the rest of the clean went without a hitch.

So all cleaned and ready to roll, pulled the recipe up on the app and the thing fired in to life, mash temp reached ok so i mixed in the grains, it dropped a few degrees but quickly recovered.
The mash went fine, sparge was good and it got to a boil fine, only the temp was reading 98c so it wouldn't let me on to the next step, I checked everything and found the temp probe was only half way in :doh: my fault i guess, i must have snagged it or something during the sparge, thing is i think a little attention to detail on GF's front, a way of tidying up the cables that just hang there perhaps, I'v got the grain coat so i'm gonna see if i can tuck the cable for the sensor inside the coat to stop this happening in future.

So it was all going brilliant, I thought the random pump issue must have been a one off but then 50 mins in to the boil, the pump came on and the heat went down to 0% output, I could manually turn the pump off but couldn't get the heat working even though the heat light was lit and no part of the recipe was asking for flame out, this was only remedied by unplugging the GF and plugging back in, it took me 10 mins to sort in total so for the rest of the boil i switched to manual mode, added on another 10 mins.

So i'm guessing my connect is dodgy, any one else had problems ?
I don't wan't to put anyone off buying the GF though, apart from these minor problems which i'm sure will get sorted everything else went fine, the chiller works like a dream and the app/connect thing is awesome, can't wait to see how my first AG turns out

Latest posts

Back