HBF Home Brew Competition Schedule 2020

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, if everyone comes good I'm up to around 15 beers. Although my experience is that not everyone who expressed an interest ultimately sends an entry I reckon I'm likely to get say 10 at least.

Does anyone want to share this month? If not I'm happy to continue to accept entries....:beer1:

Since no one is jumping at it, id like to put my hat in the ring for December judging if no one else wants it

Good evening,
As a new member of the forum.., Could someone please give me a bit more detail about the competition please..
Thanks

Ok, if everyone comes good I'm up to around 15 beers. Although my experience is that not everyone who expressed an interest ultimately sends an entry I reckon I'm likely to get say 10 at least.

Does anyone want to share this month? If not I'm happy to continue to accept entries....:beer1:
Ok I've got 10 beers received and expect to receive several more, possibly up to 10. Think I'm probably at capacity as a lone judge for judging over a single weekend. Way I see there are a few options:
1. Close this month's competition early
2. Another judge comes forward (could be complicated)
3. I judge over 2 weekends
Thoughts?

Ok I've got 10 beers received and expect to receive several more, possibly up to 10. Think I'm probably at capacity as a lone judge for judging over a single weekend. Way I see there are a few options:
Thoughts?
I am due to judge the dark beer for October. My plan is to cap it so that I can judge over two nights.

I have judged over several days on one of the previous competitors. As long as you have a robust scoring system shouldn’t be too much of a problem.
No system is perfect and I think a lot of entrants look forward to the comments.

Thoughts?
As an entrant, I’m not fussed if the judging takes place over two weekends, three or whatever. Just grateful for the feedback. No one else except me is drinking mine at the moment.

Another option would be not to drink all the beer as per normal comps?

Personally I would cap it though. 20 beers over two weekends is too much.

Another option would be not to drink all the beer as per normal comps?

Personally I would cap it though. 20 beers over two weekends is too much.
Yeah I did contemplate not drinking the whole beer, then quickly discounted this as an option 😃

I'll cap it then if there are no objections

I'll be entering in July hopefully. I was going to submit in April but got the red death, just about recovered now.

Have you never had a saison/farmhouse ales category?

I'll be entering in July hopefully. I was going to submit in April but got the red death, just about recovered now.

Have you never had a saison/farmhouse ales category?
Farmhouse/Saison is a little bit niche for its own month I think, 50% of the forum probably only make ipa's. Im looking forward to a real mixed bag when Judjing the freestyle drop me a pm for my address bud.

Farmhouse/Saison is a little bit niche for its own month I think, 50% of the forum probably only make ipa's. Im looking forward to a real mixed bag when Judjing the freestyle drop me a pm for my address bud.

I will gladly do so, but it's still at 1.023 at the moment so 18 points to go 😄

I've SMaSH I may enter, but it's a tad green at the moment.

What's the guide lines for August comp. I was thinking of doing a red ipa using redx,fuggles & EKG. Are you limited to a certain yeast

What's the guide lines for August comp. I was thinking of doing a red ipa using redx,fuggles & EKG. Are you limited to a certain yeast

There's always going to be an overlap of styles but as long as its fairly 'English' I don't see a problem. Interestingly when looking at the BJCP style guidelines, the colour for a Red IPA can be 21.7-37.4 EBC, and for an English IPA its 11.8-27.6 EBC. So arguably, with your English hops you can say you're entering an English IPA :laugh8:

Really looking forward to judging next month :beer1:

Interestingly when looking at the BJCP style guidelines
I'm always a bit uneasy about this. Don't we have our own "style guidelines" for our own beers?
I have my own hardcopy of BJCP and it's a great reference, but who decides what parameters British styles should conform to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back