Home Brew Competition - March 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was my first attempt at a biere de garde and I was really happy with how it turned out so I entered it in the Irish national competition and was pleasantly surprised that it came second in the farmhouse ale category. The beer which beat me was a saison which went on to win best of show!

For those not familiar with the style (I have very limited experience with the style too) it's a malty, flavourful, lagered ale originating from France, somewhat related to saison but richer in malt flavours and without the spicy phenols. There are 3 types: blonde, ambree and bruin.This recipe is for an ambree version.

Le Maléfice

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 21
Total Grain (kg): 6.965
Total Hops (g): 32
Original Gravity (OG): 1.078
Estimated Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 8.3 %
Colour (SRM): 9
Bitterness (IBU): 30
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 74
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.800 kg Pilsner (69%)
1.500 kg Munich I (21.5%)
0.350 kg Carared (5%)
0.300 kg Granulated Sugar (4%)
0.015 kg Roasted Barley (0.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
18 g Magnum Pellet (12.5% AA) First Wort
15 g Hallertau Mittlefrueh Pellet (3% AA) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Water Treatment (added to RO water)
----------------
0.08g/L Gypsum
0.3g/L Calcium Chloride

Notes
----------------
Single step Infusion at 64°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented with Wyeast 2565 - Kolsch at 18°C with 1.6L starter.

The judges comments said that the alcohol flavour was a little too strong and that a lower ABV would probably improve this. I don't think that was the problem, I think the brew was just a little young (4 months old at the time of judging) and that another few months would smooth it out a bit.

Another comment was that it was slightly too sweet on the finish, so maybe a lower mash temperature or a higher sugar percentage would help dry it out a tad. Otherwise the comments were all very positive.

So do we have anymore entries perhaps? So far have a couple of address requests.
Don't be shy! 😎🍻

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

😎👌🍻

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I took mine to the post office only to be told although it weighed in ok the dimensions were not acceptable!
So its repackaged in the front room waiting for me to run it up the road..

Not had a message from Grizzly299. Will DM you though.

Just replied to StrangeSteve, only just logged on for the first time today.

I will send mine later this week too. Just waiting on a couple of batches to get ready.

Got the first delivery today!
This one's from @JFB 🍻

bfbeacca9128c5e67569271552f344d7.jpg

It's all about what's inside that counts!

Must say the bottles are awesome. Very Belgian style.

Has mine arrived yet?
I have a collection note which I am picking up tomorrow so quite possibly.

I have a couple of friends agreed to judge with me on 1st April (got a manic no th coming up somehow!) So I hope to have feedback out to all by close of play sunday.

So far just arrived and one to collect so podium positions we'll within reach!

Anyone else entering?

I have a collection note which I am picking up tomorrow so quite possibly.

I have a couple of friends agreed to judge with me on 1st April (got a manic no th coming up somehow!) So I hope to have feedback out to all by close of play sunday.

So far just arrived and one to collect so podium positions we'll within reach!

Anyone else entering?
Slight change of plan. It will be being judged Friday 7th April. Feedback to be sent by end of that weekend.

Latest posts

Back