Home Brew Competition - July 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my opinion, beer judging is subjective enough as it is, without adding in the factor of people's style preferences.

It's entirely unfair to put an amazing IPA against an amazing brown ale only to have the judge pick the Brown simply because they don't like hoppy beer.

I'll make a suggestion if I may.

If the beer style was stated on the bottle then the beers could still be judged as they are now. Winners could then be picked on the same basis that "Best of show" winners are picked at more formal competitions. The highest scoring beer from each category goes into the running for the 3 podium positions.

With honourable mentions and tie positions for when there's a draw or its very close.

I'm pretty sure it was acknowledged and agreed that these competitions would be judged mostly subjectively due to the fact that the vast majority of us are not bjcp trained. If feedback on stylistic accuracy is what you want then there are plenty of official competitions where you can get that, but these were supposed to be a bit more light hearted with some general feedback on the beer. So that, coupled with the fact that it'll be a different judge each month, is why I think an open competition would work fine. And I think it'd make the judging much more interesting too. Just my thoughts on it.

Dropped off two bottles of lager and a saison(as a bribe) to the Compton brewery after work today and got to meet head brewer and fantastic bar tender Richard. Very nice set up and a pub shed I cold only dream of...

All good ideas for the comps future. I don't think things are ever set in stone so lets change some categories to try and get a few more of us involved.

Nice to meet you John. Really got me interested in experimenting with smaller batches and different flavours and styles.

I'm sending my entry out tomorrow mate.
My steam lager. You said to let you know how I would prefer it stored as its quite young.(2 weeks old)
It's carbed up nicely so cold would be best for me.
Looking forward to you're criticism as I've both never entered anything like this or brewed a lager type beer before. Thanks

Bottles have arrived safe and well. They are now in the fridge to allow them to settle.
Looking forward to judging day :)

Nice to meet you John. Really got me interested in experimenting with smaller batches and different flavours and styles.

Yes you should do this then invite me around for a taste and critic evening:drunk:
Was also good to meet you. Ill certainly pop around again(on my bike) and bring more offerings. As long as I can have a peek at those magazines from America you keep under the bar!!

Parcel Posted today, Two entries. One Pils and one International Pale Lager.

Two Samples , one from Caffle "Tampin' Mad " which is a Cali Common which was our collaboration brew. The other is from Tenby Brewing Co.

No not yet. Was going to pm tomorrow after the postie had been to check they had been sent.

Fingers crossed they will arrive.:)

Just used my tracking code, the parcel was damaged apparently.... But now the damage has been repaired and it's ready for delivery today :thumb:

Not sure how it has been damaged as it had " This way Up" and "fragile" written all over it. Each bottle is bubble wrapped and the whole lot is in a plastic bag tied up in the box.

Unless in parcel force language "Fragile" means "Use as rugby ball" :lol:

Hi Guys

Update on the July competition.

I have now received entries from:

BeerCat
Chrissparky
Grizzly299
JFB

I will be carrying out the judging next weekend (12th) in order to ensure all entries have had time to settle.

Let me know if you have sent an entry and are not in the list above. I am also willing to receive any entries next week if you have forgotten to post them off :)

Cheers :drunk:
Dads Ale

So judging is planned for this weekend, either later today or tomorrow.

Nice selection of entries:

DSCF6383.jpg

Looking forward to this, if a bit apprehensive at actually judging other peoples beers.

Will post results by Sunday evening and pm feedback during the week.

:drunk:

So judging is planned for this weekend, either later today or tomorrow.

Nice selection of entries:

DSCF6383.jpg

Looking forward to this, if a bit apprehensive at actually judging other peoples beers.

Will post results by Sunday evening and pm feedback during the week.

:drunk:

Looks like a nice lineup :thumb:

Ok Judging has been completed:

DSCF6384.jpg

Firstly thanks to those who sent in bottles to this competition :thumb:

Now I know how difficult judging is :lol:

But without further adieu here are the winners:

First place: BeerCat - Kolsch
Second place: Grizzly299 - Disco Biscuit
Third place: Chrissparky - Trashy Bimbo

Congratulations :cheers:

Latest posts