Home Brew Competition - July 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any more takers?

Still a couple of weeks to go. This competition is open to kit brewers as well as Ag and extract. Must be some kit lagers out there:)

The more the merrier ( for me at least :))

Cheers
Dads Ale

I'm sending my entry out tomorrow mate.
My steam lager. You said to let you know how I would prefer it stored as its quite young.(2 weeks old)
It's carbed up nicely so cold would be best for me.
Looking forward to you're criticism as I've both never entered anything like this or brewed a lager type beer before. Thanks

I'm sending my entry out tomorrow mate.
My steam lager. You said to let you know how I would prefer it stored as its quite young.(2 weeks old)
It's carbed up nicely so cold would be best for me.
Looking forward to you're criticism as I've both never entered anything like this or brewed a lager type beer before. Thanks

Cold it is :thumb:

At this rate you will be the winner :D

(unless of course I get some more entries :))

might even enter myself :lol:

Cold it is :thumb:

At this rate you will be the winner :D

(unless of course I get some more entries :))

might even enter myself :lol:

I've been pondering about the lack of interest in the recent comps and wondered if its simply because not many forumites brew some of the styles??
I always enter if I have something that fits the style but don't brew especially for the comps - maybe the schedule doesn't reflect what's being made very well - I notice that Light Lagers is up again in Jul 18 & there's not a second Pale Ale comp on the list.
Are there many people actully making Low ABVs, sours, barleywines & trappist beers for example?
Of course there should be comps for these but maybe we should have more regular comps for the very popular styles?
I also wonder if we've ever had a kit beer entered in to one of the comps and what puts people off enetering these? I've tried some excellent kit beers - maybe kits & extract should have their own categories to make the comps more inclusive?

Instead of having to brew a specific style which members may not like so wouldn't brew it themselves why not have a monthly competition where members send a bottle of whatever they have and only put their name on the label (no detail of what the brew is) as the judges differ every month the results will differ and when the winners are picked they can post what the beer was and a recipe.

Instead of having to brew a specific style which members may not like so wouldn't brew it themselves why not have a monthly competition where members send a bottle of whatever they have and only put their name on the label (no detail of what the brew is) as the judges differ every month the results will differ and when the winners are picked they can post what the beer was and a recipe.

Actually I think this is a great idea, would certainly encourage more entries :thumb:

I think that's a great idea. I don't brew according to the comp schedule but always have something ready to send.

Sounds like a good idea to me aswell I haven't entered any comps yet just never had an appropriate beer to send that month.

I haven't had much interest in next months experimental category, I thought you lot would have loads of wacky beers in the back of your stashes.

Instead of having to brew a specific style which members may not like so wouldn't brew it themselves why I not have a monthly competition where members send a bottle of whatever they have and only put their name on the label (no detail of what the brew is) as the judges differ every month the results will differ and when the winners are picked they can post what the beer was and a recipe.

I also think this is a great idea - maybe we just need some months with a 'freestyle' category like this, instead of some of the more unusal styles??

Dropped off two bottles of lager and a saison(as a bribe) to the Compton brewery after work today and got to meet head brewer and fantastic bar tender Richard. Very nice set up and a pub shed I cold only dream of...

All good ideas for the comps future. I don't think things are ever set in stone so lets change some categories to try and get a few more of us involved.

Yeah I think this is a great idea. Maybe we really do just need to have an "open comp" every few months outside of IPA, Pale, stout/porter and SMaSH and just rotate from there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I too think this a really great idea as it's all down to a bit of fun but would certainly encourage a few more entries,though on the other hand it would cetainly give those who are judging a bit more work and experience trying to idendify what they are actually drinking and in return as it is tongue and cheek so to speak may encourage a few more members to act as judges be it in laymans terms as we are not in BJCP categories.
I would cetainly be up for it.Nice call @Chippy_Tea.

Sounds like a good idea to me aswell I haven't entered any comps yet just never had an appropriate beer to send that month.

I haven't had much interest in next months experimental category, I thought you lot would have loads of wacky beers in the back of your stashes.

I have one to go in the post but by tonights tasting session could well put in four as I have not got a clue where they should ly.
Seat of your pants brewing is certainly radical but helps if you take notes some times which I may have forgot.........:doh:

If we had 'open' comps would we not need to at least state what style we were aiming for, to give the judges a reference point - I don't neccesssarily mean a pre-defined forum or BJCP style, just however you'd descibe it - or would this maybe bias judges towards styles they prefered?

My take on it is if you do not know what is in the bottle you are not judging it against a taste you already know If were a judge I think that would be a big plus.

My take on it is if you do not know what is in the bottle you are not judging it against a taste you already know If were a judge I think that would be a big plus.

I agree it would make judging easier as you could just pick your favourites, and I like the idea of not having any pre-conceived ideas about what the beer should be like, but it may make giving feedback tricky if you don't know roughly what the brewer was aiming for.

Maybe feedback for 'open' comps could just focus on what positive elements made the beer stand out from the rest?
Not sure how you'd score a beer for aroma, appearance etc if you don't what style it was.

I agree it would make judging easier as you could just pick your favourites, and I like the idea of not having any pre-conceived ideas about what the beer should be like, but it may make giving feedback tricky if you don't know roughly what the brewer was aiming for.

From the little I know about judging, your supposed to mark for how close to style you perceive the beer to be. Not did you like the Aroma/flavor, if I had a beer with sorachi ace in, its instantly Gona be scored lower than others because I just don't like it. So surely you at least need a category to judge against. I was wondering how I'm supposed to judge next month's experimental comp,

From the little I know about judging, your supposed to mark for how close to style you perceive the beer to be. Not did you like the Aroma/flavor, if I had a beer with sorachi ace in, its instantly Gona be scored lower than others because I just don't like it. So surely you at least need a category to judge against. I was wondering how I'm supposed to judge next month's experimental comp,
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...age&q=how to judge experimental beers&f=false

Sent from my ALE-L21 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back