Home Brew Competition - July 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for July 17 is Light Lager

Style Guidelines:

Light Lager
(Includes all light lagers, including lager-based beers which have not been ‘lagered’ as a full fermentation and condition process. Does not include any other beers which might use Pilsner malt but are covered in other HBF Competition style definitions)
Lagers typically have an OG of between 1.040 and 1.060 and an IBU of up to 40. Light lagers typically have a well-balanced malt profile, rounded and smooth, with minimal bitterness. Hop notes, usually spicy, should be balanced and in the background. Beers should be clean with no discernible esters and well attenuated, and whilst many lager vary between sweet and dry, they should not exhibit extremes in body. Lagers are typically light bodied with medium to high carbonation. The lagering process is not essential, but care should be taken to minimise the impact of yeasts on non-lagered lagers!

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @Dads_Ale

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Monday 31st July and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/shpwthread.php?t=64349

Somebody must have a lager to enter for this......

Not had any enquiries so far :-(:

This competition is open to kit brewers as well as extract and all grain. At the moment there are good odds on getting first place :)

Just bottled a lager today so to stop me judging myself as the winner then get your entries in :thumb:

Ive got a lager or two I can enter. Surely there must be a few lagers out there. @MyQul you seem to be a big fan of pseudo lagers.
@Dutto did I see you mentioning a lager the other day?
I really enjoy the comps on here. In fact its how I arrange my brew schedule and gets me constantly making all different styles of beer which is just the ticket for anyone new or old to brewing.
I even had beetroot and horseradish pale ale lined up for the experimental, but if no ones bothering...

:doh: I drank the last bottle of Vienna Lager tonight. :doh:
The rest is in MKs.​

Anyway, I'm too modest and/or too scared to enter a competition.

After a lifetime of eating spicy food and being hooked on the dreaded weed (smoking, chewing and snorting the stuff) my taste-buds are well and truly knackered.

I have this vision of me standing with beer in hand, nodding wisely and saying "Delicious!" whilst a fellow taster alongside is choking on the same brew! :lol::lol:

:doh: I drank the last bottle of Vienna Lager tonight. :doh:
The rest is in MKs.​

Anyway, I'm too modest and/or too scared to enter a competition.

After a lifetime of eating spicy food and being hooked on the dreaded weed (smoking, chewing and snorting the stuff) my taste-buds are well and truly knackered.

I have this vision of me standing with beer in hand, nodding wisely and saying "Delicious!" whilst a fellow taster alongside is choking on the same brew! :lol::lol:

Ita all fun mate! I just feel as a homebrew forum/club the best thing we can be doing is comparing, tasting and looking at beers and how we get to our results.
I "no chill" and have done ok with hoppy styles of beer in the comps which "may" just show that believing what we read may not be the truth(shock horror).
Others that have done well have surprised me with how simple there grain bills were. Something that ive now put into my own brewing with great results:thumb:
If learning from a group pool is something we want then these forum comps must be a great step in the wright direction:clap:

Ita all fun mate! I just feel as a homebrew forum/club the best thing we can be doing is comparing, tasting and looking at beers and how we get to our results.
I "no chill" and have done ok with hoppy styles of beer in the comps which "may" just show that believing what we read may not be the truth(shock horror).
Others that have done well have surprised me with how simple there grain bills were. Something that ive now put into my own brewing with great results:thumb:
If learning from a group pool is something we want then these forum comps must be a great step in the wright direction:clap:

Well said
Although I don't make lagers I'll be in for the Aug, Sept & Oct comps.

Problems?

1. This link doesn't work ...

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=64349

... sorry.

2. I too didn't rank lager as a beer. My reference point was limited to the gnat's pee on sale in UK shops and pubs and I only made the Vienna Lager to use up some spare grain and to compare "long term" lagering with "short term" cold crashing. The result so far has been a massive change of heart towards lager; especially on the hot days we've had lately.

3. Standing in the queue to send something by Post in Skegness is a "lose the will to live" experience most of the time. This is why I hand the chore over to SWMBO; but I've got a feeling that I would be looking at outright mutiny if I asked her to stand in a queue for forty minutes to post a bottle of beer for me! :whistle:

4. As I brew up to six months ahead of what I intend to drink, a forward looking competition itinerary would maybe help myself and others. (e.g. I have a Light Ale brewed last February that is coming good at the moment.)

However, competitions aside, if a Forum Member is passing through Skegness and fancies sampling the contents of my garage please send me a PM and we can arrange a visit if we are at home. :thumb:

Ive got a lager or two I can enter. Surely there must be a few lagers out there. @MyQul you seem to be a big fan of pseudo lagers.
@Dutto did I see you mentioning a lager the other day?
I really enjoy the comps on here. In fact its how I arrange my brew schedule and gets me constantly making all different styles of beer which is just the ticket for anyone new or old to brewing.
I even had beetroot and horseradish pale ale lined up for the experimental, but if no ones bothering...

I do enjoy a pseudo lager but I only really bother cold fermenting in the winter. In the summer I'll still follow a lager reciepe but I'll just use a clean ale yeast (I'm really liking notty for summer at the mo) and make a 'lager style ale'. Because it's brewed so warm It's no were near clean enough for a (pseudo) lager.

I do enjoy a pseudo lager but I only really bother cold fermenting in the winter. In the summer I'll still follow a lager reciepe but I'll just use a clean ale yeast (I'm really liking notty for summer at the mo) and make a 'lager style ale'. Because it's brewed so warm It's no were near clean enough for a (pseudo) lager.

To be fair ive just started drinking my lager that I followed all the rules for and its a bit pants! I really messed up the carb levels and not enough bittering either.
I've got a raspberry lager on the go that ill bottle on Thursday carb high and promptly give up lager brewing. its far to much faf for my liking..

I have a beer I'm bottling this week not sure if it quite fits the criteria. It's almost a pale ale brewed with crossmyloof California common yeast.

I'll probably be sending my entries out together sometime next week. One is well lagered, the other will have been lagered for just over a week by the time you get it. It may well get two weeks Lagering by the time you drink it.

I'll probably be sending my entries out together sometime next week. One is well lagered, the other will have been lagered for just over a week by the time you get it. It may well get two weeks Lagering by the time you drink it.

Looking forward to receiving them :)

I will wait a week after the closing date so they all get a chance to settle after being jiggled about by the postal service.

I have been drinking my lager after a week in the bottle and it has cleared nicely and is well carbonated.

Bottled my submission today, it will probably be sent out on the last minute and quite fresh

No problem. Looking forward to receiving it. I will give all the bottles a week settling after the closing date.
Let me know if you think it will be fully carbed up as can leave at room temp for a few days if required.

Back