January 2024 - American Pale Ales

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Twostage I've just bottled the end of a keg of a nice hoppy APA and set one aside for you/the competition - fingers crossed it won't fade too badly or oxidise between now and then (or someone doesn't drink it!) 🤞

I'm planning to brew another APA next week so if all goes to plan that gives me plenty of time to get it brewed, kegged and carbonated in time to send a bottle of that too.

In any case I'll wait until much nearer the time to send them 👍🍻

Kegged an El Dorado and Azacca Pale ale the other day. Quite happy how it turned out, even with my senses dulled with COVID. Fire me your address and I'll post one up.

Starting to come in now :-

IMG_6216.jpg

IMG_6217.jpg

Heads up for the January comp. I'll probably start the judging on Saturday the 10th Feb.

PM me for address.

Cheers,
Can anyone enter the competition? I did the Secret Santa and really enjoyed the feedback. Would appreciate thoughts and any advice on my latest brew ,an APA. cheers 🍻

Heads up for the January comp. I'll probably start the judging on Saturday the 10th Feb.

PM me for address.

Cheers,
Is this still the planned judging date?

As noted before, I have one APA already bottled and ready to send...

The second one was kegged the other day so I'll be tapping it at the weekend, though I'll probably leave it until closer to the time to send both 🤞

Is this still the planned judging date?

As noted before, I have one APA already bottled and ready to send...

The second one was kegged the other day so I'll be tapping it at the weekend, though I'll probably leave it until closer to the time to send both 🤞

I chose the 10th as it is the second Saturday of the month. I'm flexible and can push it to a later date if that suits people ?

I chose the 10th as it is the second Saturday of the month. I'm flexible and can push it to a later date if that suits people ?
No, no, not at all. I was just checking/confirming how much time I have to get my act together 🙃

(Besides which I think the rules say judging is meant to happen within 2 weeks of end of the month so not sure you can push it later anyway, not that I'm that much of a stickler 😉)

Prepping for this weekend's judging last night. Taking the co-judge (the Missus) through the style guide and a couple of judging scoresheets (thanks for the links @dave_77, going to use one as a crib sheet for the descriptors and one as the actual scoresheet).

It made me realise I wasn't closing the loop with my brews where I do it to style. I use Brewfather to guide me to hitting the numbers but I don't then check it against the style guide when its done. A bit like drawing a picture of a house and sitting back deciding if it looked nice rather than if it looked like a house (although I know that is a valid option). So tonight we're going to practice by judging one of my recent brews (its a New Zealand pale rather than American but the style guide allows New World hops so it is valid I think). Then I'm going to do it as a matter of course when I brew to style to see if I've got it right.

OK. I've done all the tasting and made notes, just need to convert them into numbers so I can publish the results (I'll do that tomorrow so I can give it full brainpower). Quite an experience, challenging but a good experience. Really interesting comparing them to style and definitely something I'm going to do with all my beers in the future when I brew to style. I did some last night and some tonight and got into the stride of it tonight.

I must say they were all nice beers, very nice beers in fact, if they were on sale at the local pub I'd definitely pay for them.

Results tomorrow. :D

Latest posts

Back