Kit enhancers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cask is best

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have just bought a Muntons beer kit enhancer £6 1kg from Wilkinsons. I have always used Tate n Lyle white sugar. And i may say myself have made some very nice ales. My main problem is head retention which i read helps improve this. As well as so it says vastly improves the kit.

Although the enhancer is increasing the cost of my pint by adding this extra £6 [And lets face it a small part of our hobby. Not all. Is to keep the price our ales down] Is it worth the extra outlay to just using Tate n Lyle.

Regards.
CIB

Yes, your beer will have more flavour. However Personally I think that if you go to using 1KG DME, then you may as well just buy a 2 can Kit from your LHBS, as often the price is similar to that of a decent kit and DME.

In my experience, beer enhancer and possibly some added hops etc gives you the opportunity to play with flavours and will broaden your knowledge, however I get a consistently good pint at a very good price simply by having upgraded to the two can kits and giving them time to condition properly. There are good reasons for going either route, or indeed both! Experimentation is the best way in my view. ;)

Not necessarily... :P

Depends which way you want to go, IME two can seem to give quality and consistency, but there are one or two very good one can kits, Coopers Sparkling Ale for example... With beer enhancer it's a VERY good pint, if left for a time to condition... :cheers:

Back