Lowering the Tone of Our Forum

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it doesn't
Its quite clear in the description

'This is the place for all non brewing chat'
But the Snug is part of our Forum, and sadly we are often defined by extremes. For example many folks believe that all Muslims are potential terrorists which in my view is ridiculous, but it's a label that sticks.
And if I'm wrong, does that mean that it's open season to post any extreme views in the Snug, provided they are within the Rules and Regulations, which as far as this topic is concerned is basically only Rules 1, 2 and 5, and possibly Rule 4, which in my view do not really prevent this happening.

Jesus was actually a HBer,, turning water into wine..

However the fact he achieved such a rapid fermentation suggests he didn't bother with sanitation.. And despite the heat of Jerusalem I bet he didn't use a brew fridge..

Water was said the be the ingredient, he obviously kept his secret about sneaking in the juice from the market and pitching his yeast.

I've administered a number of fora over the years and it's a balancing act of trying to get it right between either letting a debate run and get nasty or stamping down too early. When the personal insults to other forum members start, you have to act. Some members accuse the forum staff of being over zealous, others complain that not enough is done. It's a no-win situation and administering or moderating a forum can be a thankless task. Those forums have all shut down now but I still administer my own forum and I've not had much trouble on there.

But the Snug is part of our Forum, and sadly we are often defined by extremes. For example many folks believe that all Muslims are potential terrorists which in my view is ridiculous, but it's a label that sticks.
And if I'm wrong, does that mean that it's open season to post any extreme views in the Snug, provided they are within the Rules and Regulations, which as far as this topic is concerned is basically only Rules 1, 2 and 5, and possibly Rule 4, which in my view do not really prevent this happening.

common sense has to prevail Terrym, apart of the forum it may be but it has no relevance to what the forum is all about.
I don't see why you can't just click away Terry if you don't like it, problem solved.
Look, I have been deeply ofended by a particular post regarding mental health issues in the snug. As someone who has suffered a nervous break down I know what its like, I wouldn't wish it on any one.
I'm still here though, as hurt as i was i took the high road and let live and let live. People say dumb sh!t, thats just the way it is, I didn't complain because what I find offensive others don't and what others find offensive I may not, I didn't get involved with the particular thread,I clicked away and I suggest you try the same.
Now lets all calm down and have a beer. Cheers

On another note, cracking post terrm, I may not agree with it but its caused some laughs, a bit of debate and banter. Just what the snug is about

Good idea :thumb:

What beer would Jesus drink? :whistle:

I'm not sure he was into beer, but I suspect he did WOW - he turned water into wine allegedly.

As for an earlier post re: GE I'm going to stay up for the election results as the ward I'm in has the narrowest margin in the UK. It promises to be really exciting methinks.

Jesus was actually a HBer,, turning water into wine..

However the fact he achieved such a rapid fermentation suggests he didn't bother with sanitation.. And despite the heat of Jerusalem I bet he didn't use a brew fridge..

Water was said the be the ingredient, he obviously kept his secret about sneaking in the juice from the market and pitching his yeast.
I'm a Christian (I can hear all those clicking away) and I'm still laughing at this five minutes later, I'm not that easily offended 👍

Perhaps we should just stick to beer talk.

The snug has been here longer than I have and if certain members stuck to the forum rules instead of being keyboard warriors there wouldn't be a problems, as someone has already said the snug is not bad compared to his fishing forum and when I was mod of a football forum I lost count of how many threads were removed and members banned on a daily basis.

If you want the place to stay friendly there has to be no talking politics or religion...

We never have and never will ban any topics that do not break forum rules if members cannot stick to them as Taz found action will be taken.

For me...with my coms problems..keeping away in a debate on religion and politics is a zone that I've kept away for most of my life...
Too many people killed by religion, politics I revere to what I've experienced in my years in the military..
We've all got views, but it's for me HB'ing I stay at..
I love the banter and the friendliness, and the guru's are not up there arses as far as the newcomers, unlike some forums I've visited wether the hobby I was in.
Treating people on the same level I alway try to be, I was once an novice...(waiting for Clint to take the p on this remark haha!) just joking..
Ok in the heat of the moment...but think twice..it's only a forum!! And if you can not engage
With a response you'll see that in others views your 'grown up' and not let yourselves down.
Woffle ova...coz I can type for England...
Chill...
Bri

We never have and never will ban any topics that do not break forum rules if members cannot stick to them as Taz found action will be taken.

And my understanding of the applicable Forum rules in this instance, as a reminder to myself and other members is

Rule 1. Please post in a mature, sensible and respectful manner.
Rule 2. Discussing distillation or any other illegal activity is not permitted.
Rule 4. Strictly No Profanity, this includes usernames that may be seen as offensive.
Rule 5. Flamers* and Trolls** will be subject to immediate punishment up to and including being banned from the forum, please choose your words carefully, we encourage debate but we also require you to behave and conduct yourself in a respectful manner at all times.

Flamer*: A person who deliberately makes inflammatory, derogatory, or slanderous posts or statements on the forums for the sole purpose of starting or feeding an argument.

Troll**: A person who posts a deliberately provocative message to the forum with the intention of causing disruption and/or argument with or without contributing to the content of the thread.

So having thought some more about these Rules they do support what my OP was trying to achieve but still allow much freedom of expression, nonetheless there is, as I have said above, a need to moderate posts with some authority which may prove unpopular to some.

Finally be aware that racism is technically a crime in the UK so extreme xenophobic comments could be viewed as being illegal (Rule 2 arguably applies). And of course the same applies to libel which, for clarity, is basically defined as "a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation".

I especially like the one about text type typing in posts we don't suffer it much here as the majority of users are old farts (being one myself) I have been on forums where it is widely used and it drives me mad.

For me...with my coms problems..keeping away in a debate on religion and politics is a zone that I've kept away for most of my life...
Too many people killed by religion, politics I revere to what I've experienced in my years in the military..
We've all got views, but it's for me HB'ing I stay at..
I love the banter and the friendliness, and the guru's are not up there arses as far as the newcomers, unlike some forums I've visited wether the hobby I was in.
Treating people on the same level I alway try to be, I was once an novice...(waiting for Clint to take the p on this remark haha!) just joking..
Ok in the heat of the moment...but think twice..it's only a forum!! And if you can not engage
With a response you'll see that in others views your 'grown up' and not let yourselves down.
Woffle ova...coz I can type for England...
Chill...
Bri

Well said Manx :clap:
Disagreements are fine, and inevitable, but I try to stick to the following:
Think before you hit "submit" and try not to be a dick.

And my understanding of the applicable Forum rules in this instance, as a reminder to myself and other members is

Rule 1. Please post in a mature, sensible and respectful manner.
Rule 2. Discussing distillation or any other illegal activity is not permitted.
Rule 4. Strictly No Profanity, this includes usernames that may be seen as offensive.
Rule 5. Flamers* and Trolls** will be subject to immediate punishment up to and including being banned from the forum, please choose your words carefully, we encourage debate but we also require you to behave and conduct yourself in a respectful manner at all times.

Flamer*: A person who deliberately makes inflammatory, derogatory, or slanderous posts or statements on the forums for the sole purpose of starting or feeding an argument.

Troll**: A person who posts a deliberately provocative message to the forum with the intention of causing disruption and/or argument with or without contributing to the content of the thread.

So having thought some more about these Rules they do support what my OP was trying to achieve but still allow much freedom of expression, nonetheless there is, as I have said above, a need to moderate posts with some authority which may prove unpopular to some.

Finally be aware that racism is technically a crime in the UK so extreme xenophobic comments could be viewed as being illegal (Rule 2 arguably applies). And of course the same applies to libel which, for clarity, is basically defined as "a published false statement that is damaging to a person's reputation; a written defamation".
Oooooft, I'm crapping myself now, I'm sure I said some bad things about the new American president 😳😉

Like Steve said...I could barge in and not understand what the meaning of a remark...take some time to anilize the info...lol let alone what I want to respond!!! By that time the heat of the moment has gone...and hitting the send key is over...
I always think that others opinions are there's, not mine...it's good n this forum as everybody has different ways to skin a cat!!! Or learning the best way to suit.
For me...humour is the key and not get too involved in others opinions even if they are saying they're right...
Chill and enjoy the ride...
Every day is an learning day...
Today is trying to understand that a plumber says he'll be ova at 09:30...it's nearly 11...
Bri

Personally I just keep away from threads about politics and religion for two reasons 1. No interest and 2. Things can get a bit heated. The rest of the time I just take things with a pinch of salt and let the mods deal with those who break the rules and go to far.

You folks on this site are great, the beer advice and chat is open and friendly and very helpful. (Unlike some other forums I am a member of) I have never been trolled, flamed, or belittled in any way when posting on TheHomeBrewForum.
But, I usually try to steer well clear of The Snug and just stick to beer. Politics and religion wind me up way too much. Even just catching a glance of the title of the latest Snug thread can sometimes be enough to raise my blood pressure. :)
For me, I'd be happy if there was an option never to see what was going on in the Snug (I know that's not going to happen). I don't like even the slightest reminder of all the cr*p going on on the world when I'm pottering around thinking about beer and homebrew.

Back