Malt Miller now using DHL?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had two deliveries from the Wine Society last year which went wrong. The first one they broke 3 of the bottles in a case of 6 and were meant to be re-packaging the remainder. Eventually informed that they had broken them all - annoying as it was a bin end and not replaceable.

Second one delivered to the next door house, which has security gates and they were away for the weekend. I could see the box sitting in their porch all weekend.

I won't place an order with The Wine Society now, unless it can be delivered via their own van. And I won't order anything from Malt Miller unless I can specify DPD.

I think it varies from area to area (and probably from driver to driver) but it is very rare for a DHL delivery to work out ok here.
I think I shall only have deliveries by the Society's own van from now on; it takes longer usually but is safer.

Just had my first MaltMiller delivery via DHL.

Everything was ok, except it arrived 45 minutes earlier than they said so I wasn't actually at home at the time. Fortunately, the neighbour who took it in was still at home when I got back so I could rescue the yeast that was in danger of sitting in a very warm house.

Looking back at other comments it seems this is a quite common problem with DHL.

Last edited:
@borischarlton - some more feedback on DHL deliveries of MaltMiller orders over the past few months:

Unfortunately, I have very little positive to say. They consistently deliver with either no warning or outside of their specified delivery slots and today hit a bit of a new low.

I am at work so wasn't at home to receive my order, they made no attempt to deliver to a neighbour (I have a Ring camera) and have left it outside the front door in clear view of everyone that passes our house (and we definitely don't live on a quiet cul-de-sac) since 10:03 this morning. I am now simply hoping and praying that it will still be there and in one piece when I get home this evening.

Additionally, they've lied on their tracking information by saying that I signed for the item when I clearly haven't.

I never had any issues like this when you used DPD for your deliveries and unfortunately it is something that will make me think twice about whether I should continue using MaltMiller for orders. Whilst the products are very good I can't justify the risk of them going missing or being damaged by being left in daft places.

1664886968431.png

@borischarlton - some more feedback on DHL deliveries of MaltMiller orders over the past few months:

Unfortunately, I have very little positive to say. They consistently deliver with either no warning or outside of their specified delivery slots and today hit a bit of a new low.

I am at work so wasn't at home to receive my order, they made no attempt to deliver to a neighbour (I have a Ring camera) and have left it outside the front door in clear view of everyone that passes our house (and we definitely don't live on a quiet cul-de-sac) since 10:03 this morning. I am now simply hoping and praying that it will still be there and in one piece when I get home this evening.

I never had any issues like this when you used DPD for your deliveries and unfortunately it is something that will make me think twice about whether I should continue using MaltMiller for orders. Whilst the products are very good I can't justify the risk of them going missing or being damaged by being left in daft places.

View attachment 75868
Alas the same thing happened to me. I contacted Malt Miller and they were very apologetic and understood my concerns but as they are still using DHL i have moved elsewhere for my supplies. They did say they were going to review the situation in the future so fingers crossed we get the option to choose at the very least.

Fingers crossed its still there, whats your address maybe i could safeguard it for you :- )

Additionally, they've lied on their tracking information by saying that I signed for the item when I clearly haven't.

View attachment 75868
This also sums up my DHL experience. The driver is very nice, but apart from that, they have nothing on DPD. The end-user experience of DPD is far superior in my opinion.

I have used MM for many years - they were always my favourite supplier and I have recommended them to others. Their recent very high price for 25Kg sacks of grain and now their use of DHL has meant that most of my purchases are now made elsewhere.

Hi,

Thanks for all your feedback, it is really useful for us. We have had to make changes to our shipping methods in stages, you won't believe the politics involved within the courier world!! Add ing in DHL was just the first step in a much bigger shake up. Over the next two weeks the rest of the changes will be rolled out which will make the delivery experience for all our customers greatly improved. Read from that there will be far more customer choice;)

I ordered from MM Monday morning and received it yesterday lunchtime, couldn’t fault the delivery tracker but it did say it was for next day delivery, which by my calculations was Tuesday. The ice pack keeping the yeast cold had melted but it was still reasonably cold. I’m just thankful it wasn’t delivered by one of the other couriers out there, I would probably be waiting still!

As seems to be a trend looking at other responses, I got my MM order delivered by DHL a full 1 hour before the stated time slot. Luckily I work from home so it's no big deal, but for those who make arrangements around being home, it might be a little more problematic. To be honest, other than the time slot discrepancies, I don't have any other gripes with DHL.
I have a DPD delivery due tomorrow from BKT - I bet it will be delivered in the time slot specified.

As seems to be a trend looking at other responses, I got my MM order delivered by DHL a full 1 hour before the stated time slot. Luckily I work from home so it's no big deal, but for those who make arrangements around being home, it might be a little more problematic. To be honest, other than the time slot discrepancies, I don't have any other gripes with DHL.
I have a DPD delivery due tomorrow from BKT - I bet it will be delivered in the time slot specified.
From speaking to one of the DPD drivers when they showed up early they are not able to release the package until the time slot, hence when they are running early fairly common where I am you will get them sitting in their van for a couple of minutes until they can actually deliver.

From speaking to one of the DPD drivers when they showed up early they are not able to release the package until the time slot, hence when they are running early fairly common where I am you will get them sitting in their van for a couple of minutes until they can actually deliver.
That's interesting that they make a concerted effort to deliver in the time slot they give. Good for the customer!

Back