My advent calendar is better than yours? 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 12.4% I'm sipping it slowly... it's a delicious beer.
IMG_20221219_182613639.jpg

I got a few days behind, so have another beer tonight, very different. The brewery, Vault City, says "Introducing a dessert sour some may biscoff at, but not us.
The nights are drawing in and we’re filling the room with festive aromas. Sweet, spicy cinnamon meets freshly baked biscuits among layers of decadent caramel. All the while, this sweetness pairs perfectly with mountains of juicy cherries and our delicately tart base beer for a sweet/sour flavour fit for the season. "
I'm not a fan of sours or "messed" about beers with spices and fruits added. This is drinkable, but I wouldn't choose it
IMG_20221219_202025373.jpg

I got a few days behind, so have another beer tonight, very different. The brewery, Vault City, says "Introducing a dessert sour some may biscoff at, but not us.
The nights are drawing in and we’re filling the room with festive aromas. Sweet, spicy cinnamon meets freshly baked biscuits among layers of decadent caramel. All the while, this sweetness pairs perfectly with mountains of juicy cherries and our delicately tart base beer for a sweet/sour flavour fit for the season. "
I'm not a fan of sours or "messed" about beers with spices and fruits added. This is drinkable, but I wouldn't choose it
View attachment 79515
View attachment 79515
Can't win them all @RichardM. I have to say your calendar is better than mine.athumb..
:( - I'm a vault city fan boy - love a good fruity sour. Theier beers have ranged from nice to - WOW. Not had a bad one to date. I like to get a sour (or an impy) in the mix whenever i'm in danger of a same old, same old session I find it perks things up a bit when ipa'ing it.

Beer52 - Haven't posted these for a few days so strap in.....

20221215_215030.jpg

Day 15 - Grapefruit pale ale - pretty good, the grapefruit made it a bit more interesting than some of the other fruity pales.

20221217_200941.jpg

Day 16 - Extra Stout from 71 Brewing Co. Excellent! Nothing fancy or showy, just covered all the bases and did an excellent job :beer1:

20221217_213653.jpg

20221217_214426.jpg

20221217_214444.jpg

Day 17 - Christmas Chameleon APA from Brew York. Excellent! They've done a cracking job of packing a ton of hop flavour into a 3.7% beer. Nice amount of piney-resiney with just a little bit of fruitiness in there. And you gotta love it when they put detailed hopping information on the can 🍻👍😂

20221218_211137.jpg

Day 18 - New Age Pils from Brlo in Berlin. I'm not sure what was new age about it. OK OK but didn't excite me.

20221219_221254.jpg

Day 19 - "Husk" Helles Lager from Basqueland. Very good, the malt really shone in this one.

Can't win them all @RichardM. I have to say your calendar is better than mine.athumb..
:( - I'm a vault city fan boy - love a good fruity sour. Theier beers have ranged from nice to - WOW. Not had a bad one to date. I like to get a sour (or an impy) in the mix whenever i'm in danger of a same old, same old session I find it perks things up a bit when ipa'ing it.
This is where mine came from Pop'n'Hops. They are local to me (although they deliver nationwide) and Trev, who runs it is a great guy. He hosts a lot of our homebrew club meetings.

Can't win them all @RichardM. I have to say your calendar is better than mine.

- I'm a vault city fan boy - love a good fruity sour. Theier beers have ranged from nice to - WOW. Not had a bad one to date. I like to get a sour (or an impy) in the mix whenever i'm in danger of a same old, same old session I find it perks things up a bit when ipa'ing it.I find some of their beers a little strange, I love a good gueuze, but last time I was in the little Vault in Shandwick Place I struggled to find a beer I would have 2 of. Their straightforward fruit sours I love tho.

Today's beer. A West Coast IPA with Simcoe, Chinook and Columbus hops. Very pleasant, but nothing special.
View attachment 79557
That's surprising to hear as Elusive's beers are generally excellent (Andy, the head brewer, is also a thoroughly good bloke).

Not so much that I'm a local fanboy, but since I'm very local I wonder if the beers I get from them are very fresh???

All that said, when I tried Oregon Trail I found it way too much - everything about those hops says it should totally be my jam but I found it had gone too far and ended up very catty 😕

20221220_220326.jpg

Beer52 Day 20 - "Pump up the Jam" jam doughnut pale ale from Tiny Rebel

What they've done is very clever and probably very skilled technically - even my Mrs sitting next to me (not a beer lover) said it smelled like a Greggs jam doughnut!

But somehow that strawberry flavour in a beer like this just didn't quite work for me. Still impressive though.

View attachment 79562

Beer52 Day 20 - "Pump up the Jam" jam doughnut pale ale from Tiny Rebel

What they've done is very clever and probably very skilled technically - even my Mrs sitting next to me (not a beer lover) said it smelled like a Greggs jam doughnut!

But somehow that strawberry flavour in a beer like this just didn't quite work for me. Still impressive though.
Just chuck in flavouring.

20221221_200931.jpg

Beer52 Day 21: Orbital Movement Hazy IPA from somewhere in Denmark

I don't have a problem with hazy IPAs but it's not a style I rush for. This one doesn't really do it for me. It's got quite a sticky resin pine thing going on which would be ok in isolation, but then there this orange juice feel which really clashes, and not much supporting bitterness. It's like it's trying to be too many things at once.

IMG_20221219_165412_824.jpg

IMG_20221220_151818_746.jpg

Day 18: Think of how musty leather and furniture polish smells well that's the taste I got only fruity and juicy. Yuk. Almost a tipper. 4/10

Day 19: A sessionable coconut stout. Bang on where I'd expect a 5% stout to be. I prefer impys but would have a half of this if I came across it again. 7.5/10

Running total 121/180

Last edited:
Loki, Black Kveik Triple IPA, 11.2% from Tartarus in Leeds. A very good beer, but I'm sipping it slowly!
The brewery says

Loki the Norse god of mischief, and what better style for him than the original oxymoron of a beer, the black IPA, but turned up to 11... literally.

This black IPA is loaded with dark malts for a slightly roasty character, but heavily hopped with southern hemisphere hops. Topaz, Nelson Sauvin, Kohatu and Ella give this beer a massive stone fruit flavour and aroma. close your eyes and you’re drinking a massive juicy TIPA, open your eyes and your met with the abyss!

IMG_20221222_215407946.jpg

Given some of your reviews on this thread, I think I may steer well clear of Tiny Rebel if I come across it!
:laugh8: I find the beers in the calendar very hit or miss. They do a couple of world class beers, but it's a bit like buying a tub of celebrations and only liking the bounty. They do have TR in sainsburys near me but apart from the clwb tropica they can me a bit meh.

Loki, Black Kveik Triple IPA, 11.2% from Tartarus in Leeds. A very good beer, but I'm sipping it slowly!
The brewery says

Loki the Norse god of mischief, and what better style for him than the original oxymoron of a beer, the black IPA, but turned up to 11... literally.

This black IPA is loaded with dark malts for a slightly roasty character, but heavily hopped with southern hemisphere hops. Topaz, Nelson Sauvin, Kohatu and Ella give this beer a massive stone fruit flavour and aroma. close your eyes and you’re drinking a massive juicy TIPA, open your eyes and your met with the abyss!

View attachment 79656
omg Kviek black tipa 😍

Back