My advent calendar is better than yours? 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:laugh8: I find the beers in the calendar very hit or miss. They do a couple of world class beers, but it's a bit like buying a tub of celebrations and only liking the bounty. They do have TR in sainsburys near me but apart from the clwb tropica they can me a bit meh.
Their Cwtch was CAMRA's beer of the year a few years back. I've always thought it is OK, but not up to beer of the year.

Second beer of the evening... I got a few days behind so am catching up. Seeds Sleep in Darkness from Duration in Norfolk. 8.5% Belgian Triple. Very good.
The brewery says "This year’s collaborative forage brew Seeds
Sleep In The Darkness is all about being fireside, celebrating harvest, and the passing of the sun into the darker months ahead. A hygge inspired botanical Belgian Tripel, made with local fireweed, brings notes of malt and honey. Partnering with the wonderful Carrier Company and Acre Botanicals, we are looking again at nature while feeling toasty and warm with this beer."
IMG_20221222_232705922.jpg

:laugh8: I find the beers in the calendar very hit or miss. They do a couple of world class beers, but it's a bit like buying a tub of celebrations and only liking the bounty. They do have TR in sainsburys near me but apart from the clwb tropica they can me a bit meh.
I suppose you can only get to world class beers by trial end error until you hit on the magic formula. So it's not surprising if 22 of the 24 in the pack are duds. An advent calendar is a smart way to do lots of trial brews yet still selling the beer (which is hard to do with traditional pubs/supermarkets)

Second beer of the evening... I got a few days behind so am catching up. Seeds Sleep in Darkness from Duration in Norfolk. 8.5% Belgian Triple. Very good.
The brewery says "This year’s collaborative forage brew Seeds
Sleep In The Darkness is all about being fireside, celebrating harvest, and the passing of the sun into the darker months ahead. A hygge inspired botanical Belgian Tripel, made with local fireweed, brings notes of malt and honey. Partnering with the wonderful Carrier Company and Acre Botanicals, we are looking again at nature while feeling toasty and warm with this beer."
View attachment 79661
I have one of those in the collection

20221222_194049.jpg

Beer52 Day 22: "Spacial Frequency" Simcoe super pale from Turning Point

They claim to love Simcoe, and I'm certainly a long time fan. This is everything a APA should be that's different from AIPA - enough bitterness but not OTT, a celebration of hops with enough pine and citrus in there without going too far.

Very nice 👍🍻

IMG_20221222_112125_735.jpg

IMG_20221222_124212_242.jpg

IMG_20221223_183736_891.jpg

Day 20: sour as you like, and I like them sour would have taken a couple of drinkers by surprise as there was only a hint in the title. 8.5/10

Day 21: I was reminded of swissles rainbow 🌈 drops. Other than that a standard IPA. 6.5/10

Day 22: A great 'coolie' whatever that is 🙂. Raspberry stout and totally delicious 8.5/10

144.5/210 - and the beers I've not yet had look promising too

20221223_192528.jpg

Beer52 Day 23: "Have you heard about the Brindle whippet" American Porter from Double Barrelled

I think I maybe expected too much from this. It was good but not amazing. Still, I should make an effort to try more of their beers since they're fairly local and I believe Elusive brew summer of their beers there too.

I'm still one day behind on my advent beers. This should have been drunk last night, but at 10.5% it was a bit too much after a few other beers.
It is excellent, on of the best I've had.
This is the description from the brewery "If there's ever an excuse needed to brew a big, beautiful TIPA - then celebrating our Birthday is definitely one of them. Our third-ever Gold Top TIPA, and may we dare say our best one yet?! Our base of Extra Pale, wheat & big juicy oats combined with our signature lactose addition really pushes the body to a level which is as beautifully soft as it is dangerously drinkable. Our most favourite hops of the year - Citra, Nelson and HBC 586 take centre stage in a few different forms. Candied pineapple, overripe mango and a white wine finish make this Gold Top TIPA a delight from start to finish."
IMG_20221224_193127920.jpg

IMG_20221226_121835_690.jpg

Day 25: Final beer. Oops I had my dessert before my Xmas din dins. 8/10 for a total of 168.5 out of 240. I swapped one can with son.

Average beer score: 7.02/10

So looking back not a bad calendar overall. If only they'd left out a couple of 'stinkers' but that's the nature of an advent calendar.

Its pretty representative of TR's output which is hit and miss. For straight up ipas look elsewhere but fruity ipas sours and pastry stouts they are definitely worth a try.

thats it till 2023 then!

Back