Pensions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
When I started work you got your pension at 65 they raised that to 67 a few years ago and it looks like it's now going up to 68 (not sure of the cut off point) I feel sorry for people my sons age they will be working into their seventies.

Only some of them Chippy. Just because people live longer nowadays doesn't mean they're fit to work to a higher age. I managed to get my pension at 66 but to be honest for a few years before that I couldn't have held down an 8 hour a day job.

I got lucky i was excepted for redudencey under one of those cva schemes at 63, still had to wait until 65 for my pension, at the time i was on the verge of handing my notice in so by sheer luck i got lucky, the day after the meeting i was there at 6am mixing dough the manager came in and i said to him i wanted to put my name forward he was gobsmacked he looked me and said you are joking no said i, as above i to feel sorry for my kids and others like them a lot will work till they drop and never see a pension

As someone in their 50s this is pretty frustrating, seems like I work hard and pay a lot of tax and NI into the system but any rewards I might have expected as a result of doing that are being quietly eroded (e.g. child benefit got means tested not long after I had kids). I don't want to work until I'm 68. Fortunately I have been putting money into a private pension scheme since I started work and hopefully I can lean on that to retire sooner but I don't want to eat into the investment too much before the state pension kicks in.

My Dad died at 74, if he'd retired at 68 it would mean he'd only have 6 years of retirement to enjoy and unfortunately spent several years of that battling cancer. Lucky he got a big redundancy pay out and was able to retire in his late 50s but not everyone will get an opportunity like that.

On the flip side the country is fecked financially so what are we going to do. Spending has to be cut somewhere.

I think I will be working until I am dead.

I do not think a state pension will exist by the time I hit 70 so it will be a case of you can either retire if and when you can.

My dad died suddently from a freak thing at 62 a few years back, never took a day off work for illness.. So you may just need to try and take whatever chance you can if you are lucky that is

Only some of them Chippy. Just because people live longer nowadays doesn't mean they're fit to work
They are discussing this now on 5 live, they are suggesting retraining for those that are in physical jobs who in their late 50s and into their 60s are not going to be able to cope, people phoning in are asking where the jobs are going to come from

As someone in their 50s this is pretty frustrating, seems like I work hard and pay a lot of tax and NI into the system but any rewards I might have expected as a result of doing that are being quietly eroded
It looks like anyone who is 40 to mid 50 is going to have at least one year added, the think is life expectancy has lowered over the last few years if it continues will they give you your years back, I doubt it.

I've got to wait til August 2024 for the state pension - already on 66 retirement age. Hope they don't mess about with it in the meantime. However, in 2019 I took advantage of "restructuring" at my employers and decided then to take my company pension early, with a deduction of course. Don't regret it, especially with covid in 2020.... hopefully I can enjoy these coming years, trying to do the right things health wise, drinking sensiblywink..., etc.

I am fully expecting and planning for (but certainly hoping against) state pensions for everyone to be entirely abolished by the time I reach retirement age in about a quarter of a century, despite having paid into it all my life.

Only some of them Chippy. Just because people live longer nowadays doesn't mean they're fit to work to a higher age. I managed to get my pension at 66 but to be honest for a few years before that I couldn't have held down an 8 hour a day job.
Funny you should mention that CWRW I'm due for state pension at 67 and it pretty much will be that as I just got caught in the band when it moved from 66 to 67. Having retired on a private pension that will last past my state pension age I don't need to find employment. I would like a part time job with some activity as 35+ years in IT at a desk isn't good for your physical health. However in my mid late 50's I am now finding some things physically more demanding. I took 2 crates of 24 x 330 glass bottles full of beer down the shed (only 1 crate at a time) and paid the price. Now having to remind myself to only carry 16 in a crate. Same with lifting and reaching too high. l need to brew below 20l as lifting the bucket is starting to strain me.

Having said that my muscular problems have improved since reducing my statin tablets from 80mg to 40mg. But as you age past 40 your physical capabilities reduce. So what are older folks who have to work to do?

I think a good strategy where the option exists is to plan to be in a position of management in later years where your role is more focused on oversight, assurance, managing risks and resolving issues. These activities need, and make best use of, the years of experience you have while also releasing you from much of the physical effort. You need to think about the qualifications, experience, and behaviours you need to develop to step into those management roles.

You can alternatively plan to change jobs (easier said than done I know) but if you’re doing something you enjoy you might prefer to shift a little rather than change a lot. Changing almost always means stepping down too because your real experience and value lies elsewhere.

Having said that my muscular problems have improved since reducing my statin tablets from 80mg to 40mg
Ha so now i know what is going on, i am on 80mg for nearly a year now thanks for posting this, i am due to see the cardiac nurse in Feb she told me last year about reducing my meds, back to pensions, god help the next generations, i am about to enter my 7th decade and i don't know if anyone else has noticed but in every generation some were along the line pension schemes go tit's up and you finish with less than you aimed for

I think a good strategy where the option exists is to plan to be in a position of management in later years where your role is more focused on oversight, assurance, managing risks and resolving issues. These activities need, and make best use of, the years of experience you have while also releasing you from much of the physical effort. You need to think about the qualifications, experience, and behaviours you need to develop to step into those management roles.

One bloke phoned in and said he was an electrician who made a good living but as he got older he had to give up a lot of jobs due to his knees, he took jobs where he could do most of the work standing for while but his knees got worse and he had to give up, as he said he hasn't done anything else what are they going to train him to do and when they train him where are all these jobs coming from.

One bloke phoned in and said he was an electrician who made a good living but as he got older he had to give up a lot of jobs due to his knees, he took jobs where he could do most of the work standing for while but his knees got worse and he had to give up, as he said he hasn't done anything else what are they going to train him to do and when they train him where are all these jobs coming from.
Presumably all the jobs that the foreigners left when we left the EU.

At least that's the promises that I remember from the campaign. There should be loads available now.

Ha so now i know what is going on, i am on 80mg for nearly a year now thanks for posting this, i am due to see the cardiac nurse in Feb she told me last year about reducing my meds, back to pensions, god help the next generations, i am about to enter my 7th decade and i don't know if anyone else has noticed but in every generation some were along the line pension schemes go tit's up and you finish with less than you aimed for

By the way you're entering your 8th decade🤣

I did make lifestyle changes never smoked(not giving up beer though) and have always exercised although I suppose many say they will but don't so you get put on a dose to take that into account. Being retired I have way more time to read up in detail about subject I had no time to do before all my research time was IT & job related.

Back to pensions I cashed my private pension in as it was paying over 30 times the annual pension amount and I added 30 years onto my age and thought hmm... not much chance of being able to see that number. It dipped after I cashed mine in and I don't know what the cash in multiplier is now, but I knew I could pop off at any time before I had my op, or even during the op and mrs DOJ would only have a tiny fraction of that.

Of course with pensions and retirements none of really know how long we have so there is always an element of the unknown, but I do take to heart advice from a former work collegue. Be able to enjoy your ACTIVE retirement years before your active world shrinks.

Latest posts

Back