Using pump with plate heat exchanger

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindormonster

Reaction score
Morning everyone

Wandering if anyone could advise best way to put pump into the chain with a plate heat exchanger - Have been using copper coil submersable up to this point so not sure if I have this worked out correct

What I want to know is where to put the pump in the chain so Im guessing -

Pipe from tap on kettle to wort input of plate exchange then pipe on wort output goes to pump then pump out pipe goes back into the kettle then recirculate until at required temp?

Or have i got that wrong and i need to pump into the heat exchange - Worried about pressure build up doing it this way?

Many thanks

M

Pipe from tap on kettle to wort input of plate exchange then pipe on wort output goes to pump then pump out pipe goes back into the kettle then recirculate until at required temp.

I have my pump on the inlet side. If cooling for a whirlpool/ hop addition then I recirculate back in the boil kettle to get to the correct temperature say 80C.
When transferring to the fermentor I restrict the flow coming out of the kettle so that it flows slow enough through the plate chiller to get to the desired pitching temp say 20C at the outlet.

I have my pump on the inlet side. If cooling for a whirlpool/ hop addition then I recirculate back in the boil kettle to get to the correct temperature say 80C.
When transferring to the fermentor I restrict the flow coming out of the kettle so that it flows slow enough through the plate chiller to get to the desired pitching temp say 20C at the outlet.

Would you say recirdculation would be needed then as I was working on the assumption that I would need to cycle the beer round back into the kettle for a while until its temp is low enough to pitch yeast?

I tend to make mostly stouts so no real need to whirl pool too often

I don't recirculate as I can normally get to the desired temperate, it depends on how cold your water is and how efficient is your plate chiller.

Latest posts

Back