Wanted: Juniper Beer/Sahti recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PawsOfEvil

Reaction score
I have a few recipes for juniper beer, they are all a bit hit and miss. Has anyone got a recipe that is a bit more scientific and proven than 'add about a bag of juniper twigs and berries'?

Sharpes brewed a seasonal beer called Juniperus , it wasn't to my taste ,but lots of other people in my pub liked it .
I wonder if the Brewery would give any clues to the recipe?

Brewed 2 or 3, still did not get proper amount of juniper to get enough flavour. Max used to date was 10 gms per litre for full boil time.

How did you use the juniper? I have been told to boil the juniper branches/leaves/berries in a sack for about 30 mins. The water can then be used in the mash and in the sparge. One large branch can be added to the mash and the berries can be added to the wort in the last 15 mins of the boil.

I found many contradicting advices re juniper. I used it both in mash and in boil (90 mins), crushed berries. No flavour whatsoever, I gave up with juniper.

Have you drank sahti? It has a hint of juniper but it's not particularly spicy. The main flavours are the strong banana flavour from the baker's yeast and the rough and ready rye malt. I believe that sahti does not use Juniper berries, but that the boiled wort is filtered through a tight cone of juniper branches before fermentation.

Yes shati has many recipes. I want to try a few variations myself but the family/friends recipes are very hit and miss. Instructions are usually 'add a bunch of juniper branches, cook until it looks done. Add about half a bag of sugar etc.

There are no real timing or even quantities, all based on years of experience and guess work. Was hoping someone had a slightly more scientific approach or at least a laid down recipe to start from. Alternatively a Juniper beer recipe would be good. Wild berries are in abundance near me so I would like to try using them. :)

Latest posts

Back