Water Chemistry adjustment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being homebrew doesn't make it best practice either.

Two smaller volumes of liquid will heat faster than one large one, or require a lower wattage element. That to me sems like it would be of commercial value.

Absolutely. Being homebrewers we can decide on what is our own best practice, based on our own requirements which are perhaps more aligned to smaller quality batches and less on volume & cost.

Being homebrewers we can decide on what is our own best practice
No you can't, best practice is best practice by definition.

Cambridge Dictionary.

best practice - noun

a working method or set of working methods that is officially accepted as being the best to use in a particular business or industry, usually described formally and in detail:

Merriam-Webster

Best Practice - Noun
Plural-best practices
: a procedure that has been shown by research and experience to produce optimal results and that is established or proposed as a standard suitable for widespread adoption

Or make your own CaCl2 solution, whilst you are supposed to use distilled water, I wonder having very low mineral water if I could sucesfully use that if I first remove the chlorine by boiling?

Or (and I think I've already mentioned it): You can measure the concentration of the finished solution with a hydrometer. But if you want to prepare really strong solutions (e.g. 33%) you could use a "Pyknometer" ... 😈

I did my first brews using a solution with one I prepared myself (7.4%) using a brewing hydrometer, and you should be good to about 10% with one. All the tables I could find were American (it's used for deicing roads, etc. over there) so used a 60F calibrated hydrometer (easy conversion, but possibly not important).

Or (and I think I've already mentioned it): You can measure the concentration of the finished solution with a hydrometer. But if you want to prepare really strong solutions (e.g. 33%) you could use a "Pyknometer" ... 😈

I did my first brews using a solution with one I prepared myself (7.4%) using a brewing hydrometer, and you should be good to about 10% with one. All the tables I could find were American (it's used for deicing roads, etc. over there) so used a 60F calibrated hydrometer (easy conversion, but possibly not important).
Thanks
I am just about to make a 33% solution, daft question though, how many mls of 33% solution required to replicate 1 gram of CaCl2, or maybe a weaker solution would make measuring out easier?
My flaked is 77% by the way and I do wonder now what purity the brewing water calculators assume

No you can't, best practice is best practice by definition.

Cambridge Dictionary.

best practice - noun

a working method or set of working methods that is officially accepted as being the best to use in a particular business or industry, usually described formally and in detail:

Merriam-Webster

Best Practice - Noun
Plural-best practices
: a procedure that has been shown by research and experience to produce optimal results and that is established or proposed as a standard suitable for widespread adoption

Calm down cupcake!

Last edited by a moderator:
Calm down cupcake!
I don't need to be irate to deconstruct your lame arguments. It's nice that you've seen a humorous little quip that you can lift from a recent thread. Well done you, i'm glad your are now feeling all warm and fuzzy.wink...

@Galena: Right, you've forced me to take a look at that link so I avoid contradicting anyone. I got 6 minutes in, and that lady doing the youtube vid starts contradicting herself!

Anyway, she latterly said 33g (plus a bit because she's using a 94% solid ... we'd probably call that "anhydrous"!) made up to (i.e. not in) 100ml. That's what I would have assumed too. Therefore, 3ml will contain 1g. Well not exactly, you'd want a 33.3333 ... etc.% solution for that. You can do the maths; it's making me head hurt. 1ml contains 0.33g, 3ml contains 0.99g, etc. Get it?

You said your water calculator supports liquids? Plug 33% in and it'll tell you (I hope!). A bit of "reverse iteration" might be necessary (you've no idea what "reverse iteration" is? ... Damn, I've just made the phrase up, but I thought it might be right?).

Anyway, the solutions you can buy are usually given a tolerance of ±1% (i.e. my last 1L bottle tested with a ✨pyknometer✨ came out as a 32.2% solution, but I haven't tested the current bottle 'cos I'll be told not to be such a dozy so-an'-so.

Last edited:
I got 6 minutes in, and that lady doing the youtube vid starts contradicting herself!
Indeed, but you get the gist of it.

Therefore, 3ml will contain 1g. Well not exactly, you'd want a 33.3333 ... etc.% solution for that. You can do the maths; it's making me head hurt. 1ml contains 0.33g, 3ml contains 0.99g, etc. Get it?

I do now yes :)

You said your water calculator supports liquids? Plug 33% in and it'll tell you (I hope!).

Well, it has the option to change to liquid and set the % in the settings, but oddly it does seem to make any difference in the water additions, it remains in grams and the number remains the same, so I am assuming that it does not work unless I have missed something. :(

... I wonder having very low mineral water if I could sucesfully use that if I first remove the chlorine by boiling?
Having seen the video now I know she was talking about the damage chlorine can do to rennet. It's a cheese thing so no worry preparing the solution for beer brewing.

I've used the CaCl2 solution to try and make mozzarella for pizza. Damned if I could make it work, so went back to unhomogenised Jersey milk from Tesco. Since found a local supplier of unhomogenised ordinary cow milk. Anyway, digression over.

Back