welcome to wales.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh,they're idiots alright. I'm just waiting for the "essential, life saving" money making cameras they'll put in. Then you'll see a welcome and come home to a real fire....

Eight changes in two miles is crazy i wonder if one of the council has shares in a road sign company ;)

it's just motorist bashing, plain and simple. Left wing governments always do this. Look for Labour to do similar after the next election.

100% scam, in April on our way to Cardigan Bay Mr plod jump out from behind a wall pointing his ray gun at me and waved me into a side road were his car was parked. He told me i was doing 41 in a 30 so i thought fair enough and i didn't argue he gave me a lecture and said i might be prosecuted later that is when i lost my rag, i said are you not checking the car out he said i have i said how you have not been in your car or on your radio so i said do you want to see my liecence check the tyres blow in a bag is the the dog tethered securley, his reply was no so i said you are here solely for one purpose to scam money off motorists he just smiled and said have a nice day. yesterday i paid the fine £202-2p £80-00 fine £90-00 costs and £32-00 into the the victim fund, this is the first time i have been done for speeding it has insenced me to the point were i am on the verge of cancelling our holiday there in April next year that will cost me £25-00 but at least none of my hard earned will be going into the economy i urge all people to do this now and teach Darkford and his scammers a lesson, by the way i love Wales and the people but have no time for the idiots who run it, reet rant over time for a cider. ps i suppose i am now a right wing thug

I was told a story of a lazer speed gun wielding plod many moons ago...
A chap was driving along,in Wales and same thing happened...got pulled over for a lecture etc...
This was on a bridge over a river,during which ,PC gets a radio call and departs leaving the speedgun on the wall...which accidentally fell in the river...PC returns for the speedgun...and looks rather worried that its not there...chap heard nothing.
Of course this might be some old pony made up by some bloke I was yapping to in the pub but it's funny!

ok, I will bite - do you have an example of a current labour policy that could be described as "far right" ?
Compared with the traditional centre -ground long since abandoned by the British political establishment, here are a few very recent examples:

- Refusing to vote to support a ceasefire to prevent thousands of civilian casualties in a one-sided 'war'
- Abstaining from a vote for a fatal motion to kill the liberty and free speech-threatening Public Order Bill
- Pledging to cut net migration further despite increased need for more overseas workforce since we left the EU
- Promising "'iron-clad' fiscal rules" (austerity), harming poorer people despite being based on the dangerous and patronising myth that nations should manage their budgets like households
- Ditching the plan to allow people to self-identify on gender, because they don't want to be seen to be on the losing the inevitable culture war as the Tories decide to make an issue of it as the next GE looms

OK: Perhaps from the above, only the tacit support for the POB could be considered 'far right', but when they engage on issues they think might have nationalist support there is no meaningful distinction between red and blue. Starmer, either to satisfy the paymasters on whose dollar he will inevitably coast to general election victory, or else because he still thinks he needs to woo Red Wall voters he (wrongly and patronisingly) believes are nationalist and racists, feels he needs to be as far as, or even further to the right than the Tories on key issues of sovereignty and immigration. They are now so far from being the party of the worker. They're slightly to the left of the Tories at the moment, sure, but on standalone policy and optics, ignoring the colour of their rosettes, they would still be the most right-wing party to exist in the UK at any time before 2019.

They are certainly, definitively, not a left wing party, and I could only expect them to swing even further to the right when they don't even need to pretend to hedge their bets courting left-wing voters when they sweep to power - which will happen not from a moral or political high ground, but simply because everyone is sick and tired of Tory corruption and incompetence. Standing solely on 'doing what the others were doing but more competently and less overtly criminally'? That's not a mandate to me.

Still, anyone who doesn't like left-wing governments, and don't want one any time soon, can rest easy. We're not getting one at the next GE, nor will we ever have one again at this rate. It's rearranging deckchairs at this point :D

Last edited:
100% scam, in April on our way to Cardigan Bay Mr plod jump out from behind a wall pointing his ray gun at me and waved me into a side road were his car was parked. He told me i was doing 41 in a 30 so i thought fair enough and i didn't argue he gave me a lecture and said i might be prosecuted later that is when i lost my rag, i said are you not checking the car out he said i have i said how you have not been in your car or on your radio so i said do you want to see my liecence check the tyres blow in a bag is the the dog tethered securley, his reply was no so i said you are here solely for one purpose to scam money off motorists he just smiled and said have a nice day. yesterday i paid the fine £202-2p £80-00 fine £90-00 costs and £32-00 into the the victim fund, this is the first time i have been done for speeding it has insenced me to the point were i am on the verge of cancelling our holiday there in April next year that will cost me £25-00 but at least none of my hard earned will be going into the economy i urge all people to do this now and teach Darkford and his scammers a lesson, by the way i love Wales and the people but have no time for the idiots who run it, reet rant over time for a cider. ps i suppose i am now a right wing thug
Rod you may well have been the victim of a racist incident :(.

If you had a plate starting with CX you may have been ok, or any plate beginning with C (although) there is often a bit of north wales vs south wales friction in certain peoplr. When I bought my CX5 I bought a car plate to match... CX55 SEL - its no longer mine so don't try and tap the driver up for a bottle swap wink..., yet i'm sure it saved me from the odd ticket when up in North wales.

PS. be very careful on the A55 or A5 for that matter. Actually I did get done for the same thing, can't remember the car I was in though but it was the A4085 out of or into Caernavon. My sat nav said 40 and it was 30, and I'm not good at remembering speed limit signs, preferring to concentrate on the roads themselves. - Anyways there was no streetlighting and considering my satnav was pretty new and I had the latest maps it would have been a fairly recent speed change.

PPS. It was on a day when I had headed out of a built up area towards a NSL area but of course it's too complicated to have differenct speed limits for those heading OUT into the wilderness compared to approaching a built up area. - #rant over (points long since expired too clapa)

Last edited:
He told me i was doing 41 in a 30 so i thought fair enough and i didn't argue he gave me a lecture and said i might be prosecuted later that is when i lost my rag, i said are you not checking the car out he said i have i said how you have not been in your car or on your radio so i said do you want to see my liecence check the tyres blow in a bag is the the dog tethered securley, his reply was no so i said you are here solely for one purpose to scam money off motorists

If you weren't driving at 41 in a 30 zone then you would not have fallen for the 'scam'... As most speedometers show around 5-10% higher than you are going then yours would have been reading 44 or 45.

Had a bad experience in Wales many moons ago.

Used to go to the Sunday bike meet at Abergavenny some Sundays, on this occasion me and my mate got pulled on the dual carriageway on the way in. This was a blessing as the cop said "you look like sensible blokes" (we had out wives on the back), "watch out today as there's a heavy police presence ". He wasn't joking, on the way back every biker got stopped at 3 consecutive roundabouts and they checked our bikes over inc exhausts and number plates (with tape measures). Van loads of police on each roundabout, huge waste of resources: didn't see anyone get a ticket.

Suppose it worked as a detterrent tho, never went back!

If you weren't driving at 41 in a 30 zone then you would not have fallen for the 'scam'... As most speedometers show around 5-10% higher than you are going then yours would have been reading 44 or 45.
Not bothered about the fine and points, it's the blatant way it is being done. it is my first speeding offence in over 50 years of driving cars and motor bikes he could have checked and shown a bit of decorum, i can foresee a lot of road rage with these 20 limits

yes re: speedometer but if you were driving at an indicated 40 lets call it 36 actual(-10%) in a 30 the fuzz usually give 10% leeway on 30 that's 33. So if your are driving to the speedometer at 40 but it's a 30 you can be done.

Compared with the traditional centre -ground long since abandoned by the British political establishment, here are a few very recent examples:

- Refusing to vote to support a ceasefire to prevent thousands of civilian casualties in a one-sided 'war'
- Abstaining from a vote for a fatal motion to kill the liberty and free speech-threatening Public Order Bill
- Pledging to cut net migration further despite increased need for more overseas workforce since we left the EU
- Promising "'iron-clad' fiscal rules" (austerity), harming poorer people despite being based on the dangerous and patronising myth that nations should manage their budgets like households
- Ditching the plan to allow people to self-identify on gender, because they don't want to be seen to be on the losing the inevitable culture war as the Tories decide to make an issue of it as the next GE looms

OK: Perhaps from the above, only the tacit support for the POB could be considered 'far right', but when they engage on issues they think might have nationalist support there is no meaningful distinction between red and blue. Starmer, either to satisfy the paymasters on whose dollar he will inevitably coast to general election victory, or else because he still thinks he needs to woo Red Wall voters he (wrongly and patronisingly) believes are nationalist and racists, feels he needs to be as far as, or even further to the right than the Tories on key issues of sovereignty and immigration. They are now so far from being the party of the worker. They're slightly to the left of the Tories at the moment, sure, but on standalone policy and optics, ignoring the colour of their rosettes, they would still be the most right-wing party to exist in the UK at any time before 2019.

They are certainly, definitively, not a left wing party, and I could only expect them to swing even further to the right when they don't even need to pretend to hedge their bets courting left-wing voters when they sweep to power - which will happen not from a moral or political high ground, but simply because everyone is sick and tired of Tory corruption and incompetence. Standing solely on 'doing what the others were doing but more competently and less overtly criminally'? That's not a mandate to me.

Still, anyone who doesn't like left-wing governments, and don't want one any time soon, can rest easy. We're not getting one at the next GE, nor will we ever have one again at this rate. It's rearranging deckchairs at this point :D
thanks for responding, even though our political instincts are clearly very different I agree with a lot of this. Certainly the part that the main parties are largely identikit.

Your reference to the POB is interesting. As in my experience those who have spoken up the most for liberty and free speech in the last few years are those who have traditionally been seen as "far right". Ironically this may be a point that the libertarian right and the hard left agree on.

As for your other examples all I will say is the root of this seems to be that people have very different definitions of the "centre ground".

Nevertheless, I will still predict with confidence that labour will soak the motorist even more than the Tories. Sadiq Khan being a case in point.

yes re: speedometer but if you were driving at an indicated 40 lets call it 36 actual(-10%) in a 30 the fuzz usually give 10% leeway on 30 that's 33. So if your are driving to the speedometer at 40 but it's a 30 you can be done.
I think that the leeway is 10% + 2. Therefore 30 mph zone 30 + 3 + 2 = 35, 40 zone 46, 50 / 57.

Latest posts

Back