What fermentation temp control swings are acceptable?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did wonder too, where on the cycle the xbt ended and if was at a point of creating rather than clearing diacetyl.
I'm probably dragging the OP's thread off on a tangent but I'm in the middle of fermenting my Weizen and thought sharing these pictures may be interesting to some.

This is part of the Brewblox dashboard view of my fermentation fridge. At the top you can see what's happening with the profile I've designed for this brew, the current Beer temp is 19.7 and it's slowly ramping up to 20.5. Inside the fermenter icon there are two temps, one is the Beer (thermowell inside Fermzilla all-rounder) and the other is the target temp for this time based on the profile below. At the bottom there's a Fridge sensor (a sensor just hanging inside the fridge) at 19.1 and it's target (zero, not enabled - you can drive by Beer or Fridge temp), and the two PID icons for the heating and cooling circuits with the heating PID at 19.4% as it's currently trying to raise the Beer temp .1C.
1685698909871.png

This one shows the profile I've created. I tend to modify these as I go as I'll actually do the diacetyl rest when the SG is within 5 points of my FG.
You'll see that I'm in the middle of ramping up from 18.5 to 20.5 at the end of the log phase of yeast growth. I've also fitted a spunding valve and have let the pressure rise to 7psi.

I could do a much longer build/operation thread for the Brewpi/Brewblox setup if people are interested.
1685699337986.png

Love Aventinus and would love to know your recipe if willing to share (pretty please!).
no worries, I could have put it in 330's but went for the traditional 500ml bottle its easy £5+ for a bottle of the original. What cracked it for me was pitching at 30 and the later addition of the second yeast to get past 8%

19/09/2022 - weizen krig kopf - doppel weizen bock - brew 76 -orange cap

3kg dwe £26.28
1 kg dme extra dark £5.95
710g GS £1.20
500g dark candi sugar £2.50
100g saaz 15 min boil - 20 min hop stand in 4.5l water £6.50
pitched @30c mj m20 bavarian wheat yeast + wilco gervin £2.25 + £2.50
bottle cap 3p
£1.58 ish a 500ml bottle
topped up to 18.5 litres
og 1.101
27/09/2022 - add wilco gervin yeast in 110 ml water to finish
fg 1.024
16.33l bottled
10.18% after bottling

Cool setup.
You'll see that I'm in the middle of ramping up from 18.5 to 20.5 at the end of the log phase of yeast growth. I've also fitted a spunding valve and have let the pressure rise to 7psi.
Using pressure to suppress esters whilst pushing the temperature to promote 4VG spiciness?

Cool setup.

Using pressure to suppress esters whilst pushing the temperature to promote 4VG spiciness?
Yep, so performed a Ferulic rest at 45c during my step mash and held the temp at 18.5-19.0 for 2 days to maximise the 4VG production during the log phase and now pushing up the temp to gently bring out those banana esters and speed up the fermentation. Well thats the idea anyway. This is only my 9th brew ever so still on a massive learning as I go journey.

I can definitely live with this 2°C swing. Either my kettle or pill is off by 2° also (kettle shows 2° less). Need to get a calibrated thermometer asca point of reference.

But whichever is correct, it's still only a 2° swing which I don't think I need to worry about

Screenshot_20230610-210013.png

Update my second brew using Novolager has finished at 1.005 as did the first. Has anybody had this kind of FG? using this yeast

Latest posts

Back