What The Hell Are The Police Doing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just think the police / government are scared that the locals are prepared to take any kind of collective ownership of the issue, even if it is just removing flowers.
It is all about control, they probably think today removing flowers, tomorrow a mob getting together and taking things to the travellers themselves.

Last edited:
My take on this, for what it is worth.
It appears that many people on here feel that you should be able to defend your home and family. I agree completely with this view. However, when different people have different opinions as to what they would do, would it not be better to either a) allow the homeowner/tenant (via ammendment of existing law) to use any force, upto and including lethal force if they deemed it necessary without fear of prosecution or b) allow those that wish to have the option of using lethal force, to display a notice on the boundaries of their properties saying such. Something along the lines of ' If you enter this property or its grounds, you will be forced to leave. This could include the use of lethal force. If you do not wish to be subjected to this, then DO NOT ENTER. By entering you agree to these conditions.' My understanding of the current law is that to display something like this at present would be against the law (willing to be corrected on this!).

Personally, I take the view that YOU should be allowed to decide the appropriate level of force, and be SUPPORTED, not arrested by the police if and when you do take this form of action.

As the politicians are fond of saying when they introduce yet another new law "If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear. Only the person or persons breaking the law should be worried" The answer therefore appears simple; if you don't want to suffer the consequences, don't break the law.

Echoing once more the thoughts of other posters; Good riddance to the scum.
I believe that the time is right for demanding that the law be changed in favour of the homeowner or tenant. The law should protect the innocent; clearly it is falling far short at the present time. Simple enough surely??

If that had been my fence i would have torn them down myself.

Tributes to a suspected burglar who was stabbed to death have been torn down.

Friends and family of Henry Vincent, 37, had tied floral tributes to a fence opposite a home in Hither Green, south-east London, where he was killed last week.

However, overnight the majority of the bouquets and balloons have been taken down and left on the pavement.

The homeowner Richard Osborn-Brooks, 78, was held on suspicion of murder, but released with no further action.

The Met Police says it has not taken down any of the tributes from the fence opposite Mr Osborn-Brooks's house.

Mr Vincent's cousin Phoebe Smith, 34, said whoever had torn down the flowers "should be ashamed of themselves".

"It's terrible, they don't understand that it's somebody's child. They're a memory of a son and a friend," she added.

She said Mr Vincent's family, understood to be from the travelling community, should be "allowed to lay flowers for Henry".

Saverimuthu Augustine, 78, said some of the tributes had been attached to his property.

He added: "I am annoyed they put them on my fence. I do not appreciate it.

"If it is a normal person it is different - it could have been my house [that was burgled]."

Read more - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-43710526

_100778888_img_2431.jpg
Me Too!!
I love the bit that says "It's terrible, they don't understand that it's somebody's child. They're a memory of a son and a friend," she added.

Here's a thought. Bring your children up properly to respect, not take, other people and their property and you will never have this problem. Or is that too simple??

Last edited:
Everyone who has seen Legally Blonde (or who has, you know, studied either law or ancient philosophy) knows the Aristotle quote “the law is reason free from passion”. To paraphrase, if you’re ever up in front of a judge and your defence is based on what you think the law should be, rather than what it is, then you’ve got a problem.

Edit to add this link, this person always provides good, easy to read, analysis

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/04/05/bashing-burglars-and-the-law-of-self-defence/
Great link, thank you. Even better than the article was the front page 'libido boosting diet' One for the wife, methinks!!

Great link, thank you. Even better than the article was the front page 'libido boosting diet' One for the wife, methinks!!
I just hope that ad was targeted at you not me!

If someone is arrested, there's less opportunity to tamper with evidence. Even cooperative people might lie, go home and do dishes, washes, shampoo the rugs, you know, things that might indicate that that person was a liar.

My take on this, for what it is worth.
It appears that many people on here feel that you should be able to defend your home and family. I agree completely with this view. However, when different people have different opinions as to what they would do, would it not be better to either a) allow the homeowner/tenant (via ammendment of existing law) to use any force, upto and including lethal force if they deemed it necessary without fear of prosecution or b) allow those that wish to have the option of using lethal force, to display a notice on the boundaries of their properties saying such. Something along the lines of ' If you enter this property or its grounds, you will be forced to leave. This could include the use of lethal force. If you do not wish to be subjected to this, then DO NOT ENTER. By entering you agree to these conditions.' My understanding of the current law is that to display something like this at present would be against the law (willing to be corrected on this!).

Personally, I take the view that YOU should be allowed to decide the appropriate level of force, and be SUPPORTED, not arrested by the police if and when you do take this form of action.

As the politicians are fond of saying when they introduce yet another new law "If you are not doing anything wrong, you have nothing to fear. Only the person or persons breaking the law should be worried" The answer therefore appears simple; if you don't want to suffer the consequences, don't break the law.

Echoing once more the thoughts of other posters; Good riddance to the scum.
I believe that the time is right for demanding that the law be changed in favour of the homeowner or tenant. The law should protect the innocent; clearly it is falling far short at the present time. Simple enough surely??
I'm sure that won't give any trouble or ambiguity haha.

Back