where's all the AG brewers gone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BarnsleyBrewer said:
A.G? :hmm: .......
HarryHill_fight.jpg
....... KITS? :hmm:
I thought that's what the beer competitions were about? A fun way of having a bit of rivalry. And hopefully a decent pint of both. But that's going off topic. Don't put your coat on. Hang around and have another :drink:

It seems to me that we seem to be bickering over something rather trivial as a forum we are all here to help each other wether its a kit brewer or biab or ag brewer we all need some reassurance at some point or another ,I understand there can be frustration when we persistently get new members asking the same old questions but surely thats what we as members are there for perhaps it may be a bit difficult for new members to navigate around the older posts and surely all we need to do is post them the link
As for your posts Jon i personally think there generally funny but sometimes a little close to the wire lol no offence intended you have a knowledge that you can pass on and should be passed on
It would be a shame for you to stop adding you input on the other hand i can understand where tony is coming from when he says save it for the snug come on guys lighten up its getting a bit drawn out otherwise i can see the kit ag divide setting in

Still AG-ing here!

Hopefully there will be a bunch of new AG-ers after the new Kit brewers get the bug and move up!

BB I'd recommend giving BIAB a shot, such a simple way to AG. As the saying goes, once you've gone BIAB, you never go back... or some thing like that. :wha:

I would agree that a google site search is A LOT better than the built in forum search, as Darcey says, if there could be a built in google search box on the forum it would be awesome and.

Well there you go, never knew such a thing as a google site search existed. That's todays "you learn something new every day" sorted (other than how to get the Ultra fuel quantity test set to work properly, but that's of little interest to you lot).

Surely that's what a site such as this is for though, the opportunity for newbies to learn a lot quickly, for the experienced to learn a bit more and to pass on what they have learnt and for the oracles to watch over with a knowing eye passing forth words of wisdom.

Can't we all just settle our worrys over a nice pint of homebrew?

Now that I am aware of the google search I'll be using it. You have to admit for a new member the search function is abit basic. Maybe I'll start a 'how to,... Search the forum'' in all seriousness!

BB + Aleman thank you for your posts and input! With out this forum id still be stirring my kits with a wooden spoon and give up.

Lock the topic. let's be united and start a how too, do something, point new starters in the right direction, flag and remove pointless posts and link the relevant ones! Together we are strong!

HURAH! THBF!

I think we should all, Relax Don't Worry, Have a Home Brew, whichever way it is made :D

I agree with Ed in the above post. This forum is all about offering help and supporting all types of brewing. I think everyone ontributes to someone on here. Its just us Yorkshire lot like to have a bit of a giggle now and again. We dont want to be arguing over kits and all grain brewing so long as its brewing does it matter?

mark1964 said:
I agree with Ed in the above post. This forum is all about offering help and supporting all types of brewing. I think everyone ontributes to someone on here. Its just us Yorkshire lot like to have a bit of a giggle now and again. We dont want to be arguing over kits and all grain brewing so long as its brewing does it matter?

+1 for all sentiments there.

FWIW as a kit brewer looking to move on, kits (can) make better beer than you buy in the shops, better even than some of the good ones. I've proved that in a little way with my St Peters RRA and a very unscientific experiment.

Logically (or at least in my thinking), treating the wort to concentrate it into a can has to detract from the finished product. i.e. if you used similar process, gear, yeast etc etc from start to finish you should get a better product from the wort that is unadulterated.

But, and this is the big but, you will produce a better beer than something that is already a better beer than you can buy off the shelf. You may make brilliant beer AG versus really really good beer from a premium (and well brewed) kit versus good beer from a supermarket shelf.

It's the "well brewed" that's at stake and I think this all stems from the fact that Youngs and the other big players in the commercial homebrew market have done a really good (as far as they're concerned) job of lowering the point of entry to "Oooh, look, you can make cheap beer and all you have to do is chuck it in and mix it up and drink it a few weeks later... Brilliant!" without necessarily making enough of the fact that you have to look after several billion living things with their own agenda for a couple of weeks...

...I'm not surprised that we get lots of noobs on here seeking reassurance, seriously, if you haven't picked up a kit in years, google for a scan of the instructions from some of them and you'll see where I'm coming from!

You know what? I said it in several other comments on many's a thread but this place has been one of the (if not *the*) friendliest places I hang out on the 'net. If all we need is a really good "How to" covering "your very first beer kit", one covering "your very first TC [grays!]", "your very first WOW" etc then I'll put myself firmly in the frame for the kit beer one, I'll even do it from scratch with a Coopers Cerveza kit for authenticity!!!

I've only been brewing six months but, hell, I can give that back to THBF at least?

Who else fancies trying their hand at creative instructional writing? :)

Im a noob and have started with kits, only 2 so far and no doubt there will be more.
Im pretty certain that 99% of home brewers started with kits, with no real idea what to do and as such very nervouse.
I myself am already looking at going over to extract brewing after only a few months and will when i have more room, time and knowledge probably move onto AG.

What im saying is, we/you were all noob kit brewers at one point with the odd exeption yet ended up as AG brewers, we as noobs need nurchering and guiding until that time comes if indeed it does come where we go over to the shiny yet dark side.
The only difference i see personally is that most AG brewers have been brewing longer than myself and others and as such have had time to set aside finances and time to move on and build up your equipment.

I have only been a member of this forum for a short while, yet i already find that by my second successful brew now in bottles im not asking all those basic simple questions as i have the confidence to know that what i am doing is correct.
Like mentioned earlier, it's more about reasurance that we as noobs are doing things right.

If there has been a large influx of new kit brewers to the forum then surely that is a good thing as I/they are the AG brewers of the future. ;)

Andy future AG brewer. :drink:

Andyhull said:
What im saying is, we/you were all noob kit brewers at one point with the odd exeption yet ended up as AG brewers, we as noobs need nurchering and guiding until that time comes if indeed it does come where we go over to the shiny yet dark side.
The only difference i see personally is that most AG brewers have been brewing longer than myself and others and as such have had time to set aside finances and time to move on and build up your equipment.

That was the point I was making with the tale of the SCUBA newsgroup I was on in the past. Noobs like you and me will, in time, be brewing from grains and hops and it is the confidence and reassurance in what you're doing along the way that keeps you going on that path. Old timers here are great at building that confidence - their experience and confidence is what keeps us right.

If as the title of the post infers that we are leaking old-timer AG brewers then the only way to rectify that is to ensure that us wobbly noobs gain the confidence and the experience and passion for home made beer that progresses us to the point where *we* are the ones that the remaining old-timers are discussing the merits of a new hop or grain variety or the design for a new sparge arm or HERMS system with.

That was the point I was making with the tale of the SCUBA newsgroup I was on in the past

That was why a wrote that particular bit.

This is what can happen, people become elitists and forget where the started their own journey.

Not saying that thats whats happening here :lol:

Andyhull said:

The difference is that the site is littered with Noobs just wanting to brew cheap alcohol to get ****** and are not bothered about the craftmanship behind brewing. And we are getting new brewers who think they now it all and are challenging the posts of more experienced brewers, with out actually the broader knowledge or experience. That is what is annoying and is keeping away the more experienced all grain brewers.

I don't have a problem with new members or kit brewers it is just the attitude of some of them, admittedly a minority but I do seem to be clashing with them every day.

graysalchemy said:
The difference is that the site is littered with Noobs just wanting to brew cheap alcohol to get ****** and are not bothered about the craftmanship behind brewing. And we are getting new brewers who think they now it all and are challenging the posts of more experienced brewers, with out actually the broader knowledge or experience. That is what is annoying and is keeping away the more experienced all grain brewers.

I don't have a problem with new members or kit brewers it is just the attitude of some of them, admittedly a minority but I do seem to be clashing with them every day.

I've long been interested in brewing my own beer and cider. I first started off brewing Turbo Cider as it was a cheap way of my friends and I getting hammered. However, I have always had the intention of brewing beer to start with and I feel that if it wasn't for trying to get ****** on the cheap I wouldn't be where I am today in terms of what I have learned about all grain brewing and getting out there and doing it myself. Some people just need a little shove in the right direction and by encouraging people to go from kit (I skipped this as I was more interested in the whole process) to grain brews it may spark more discussion and out of that great ideas are usually born.

The biggest problem with AG is the cost of the set up. Most (big assumption) people see all the shiny stuff and instantly write it off as an expensive hobby. I built my AG set up for less than a tonne out of plastic and kettle elements, personally I think this is the biggest issue.

James

Just ignore them (easier said than done) :clap:

That is what is annoying and is keeping away the more experienced all grain brewers.

I totally understand that, but thats just life in general unfortunately nowadays, too many know it alls and jokers (jokers as in idiots).

I find the best way of determining if someone is genuine is to see how long they hang around, the jokers will be on for a week or 2 and then dissapear and the knowitalls generally find out in the end they know very little ;)

I have been a member of an allotment forum for many years now since 2006 when it first started, i have seen litterally hundreds if not thousands of members come and go with the usual know it alls and jokers, the know it alls end up being ignored and leave and the jokers end up leaving after a few weeks.

Like i said, just ignore them and be happy. :thumb:

Also Gray, looking at your avatar, are you slightly misserable :lol:

Andy

graysalchemy said:
.... I don't have a problem with new members or kit brewers it is just the attitude of some of them, admittedly a minority but I do seem to be clashing with them every day.

I understand exactly where you're coming from with this :!: I don't think anywhere in this thread has there been critisism of kit brewers or saying AG BIAB or whatever is best, (it's just AG brewer tend to be more experienced, note I said tend, there are others who have quite happily been brewing non AG for years) what is annoying and frustrating is answering questions that members post and then being told you're wrong and then start having to justify your answer, I've had the same experience and question if I'm just wasting my time :!:

There's a lot of solid advice here and all free, given with the best of intentions, I know my return to brewing would not be anywhere as successful with out the help and advice of many of the 'old hands' on this forum :thumb:

I'm sure a lot of newcomers are grateful for the help and answers to their questions, I know I certainly was :cheers: There are just one or two who come across as argumentative and seem to like to take members to task over their answers/advice which is unfortunate.

Andyhull said:
I find the best way of determining if someone is genuine is to see how long they hang around, the jokers will be on for a week or 2 and then dissapear and the knowitalls generally find out in the end they know very little

In general I don't post in reply to the jokers only where I can give a genuine answer. The problem is someone joining in afterwards challenging what I have said, which I don't mind if they actually knew what they were talking about, or had the broader knowledge of brewing techniques and equipment to understand why I may have suggested something, something which may not be appropriate to their set up but is appropriate to others.

That is what annoys me.

Baz Chaz I know you understand thanks :thumb: :thumb:

graysalchemy said:
In general I don't post in reply to the jokers only where I can give a genuine answer. The problem is someone joining in afterwards challenging what I have said, which I don't mind if they actually knew what they were talking about

I'm still here, but this is probably one of the reasons I post a bit less... ( never posted that much anyway due to time ) I still have a LOT to learn, and know which members advice I trust. I see some advice that I think is just wrong from people claiming to be 'experienced' and when its corrected all hell seems to let loose.

Well done to those who are putting up with this and still posting :thumb: GA - you do seem to have been on the receiving end a bit lately, but then you are known to be banned from forums for troublemaking :whistle:

I have no issues with people doing kits, but don't answer questions on it ( I know next to nothing about kit brewing since they improved radically )

I do have issues with people just trying to produce cheap cr*p with as high an ABV as possible so never answer those posts. If you want high ABV drinks put some bloody effort in and make something good, spend the time conditioning it and then respect it by not attempting to drink 10 pints of your 2 years old RIS.

Oh - and can we please maintain the humour that has always been in this forum and made it so good...

Hawks said:
GA - you do seem to have been on the receiving end a bit lately, but then you are known to be banned from forums for troublemaking

I am a well respected model citizen on that other forum though there is a lively debate going on there which is keeping me busy.

Latest posts

Back