wort aeration & a sieve?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gurtpint

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've noticed that in many pics posted on this forum people run their boiled wort to the FV via a metal sieve. Is this just to get bits'n pieces out of the way or does it actually help with aeration before pitching as well? Is some hot stirring/shaking action still called for? Thanks.

Its just to catch any hops that make it through the hop strainer in the boiler. It all depends how efficient your hope strainer is on whether you need it or now.

I have had a few experiences where I am half way through the boil and then realise I have a hop strainer sitting beside the boiler (if I put it there I won't forget to fit it :roll: ). So on those occassions I have to pass it through a sieve while sticking a knive steel through the valve to dislodge the hops and trub.

Cheers Dunfie. No rest for the wicked, I'll just have to keep doing my Schwarzenegger impersonation and flex my absolutely huge muscles while my surroundings are in utter awe of my mastery of the mash paddle... I had an initiation rite of that sort while I was brewing my so far one and only AG - had all the wort neatly in the kettle while I noticed that lonely hop strainer on the table. Managed to get it screwed on without emptying the kettle but it took some maneuvering and lots of cursing.

Latest posts

Back