yeast for coopers kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gingerhammer

Reaction score
Heres my plan fellas,going to mash 1kg of lager malt add 1 kg of light dme,a coopers lager kit and dry hop about 40g of saaz..would the kit yeast be ok?or should I use some other yeast??please throw me some comments/ideas.cheers followers of the craft.

Hello, first of all what Coopers lager kit are you intending on using? the reason I ask is that the Coopers Euro kit comes with lager yeast although there is not enough in my opinion. I use Saflager S-23 and have had some nice results with the Euro lager (I'm an AG brewer that uses kits to re stock my needs ;) ) you need to be careful with the temps as the Saf- 23 doesn't like temps over 16 - 18 degrees C.

The other Coopers Lager kits come with a beer yeast if that makes sense so will taste a tad Aley.

Its the standard green can,with the ale yeast.Just asking because with extra malt im adding,im wondering if the coopers yeast will have umph to ferment it?

Yeah, it will ferment it ok but it might take a while to start, I used to do only kits before I started AG and I found that the kit yeast took a while to start things off so I then started experimenting with other yeasts i.e. Saflager 23. I used a Bohemian smack pack yeast on the lager kit you mentioned and thats been fermenting for three weeks now at a steady 12 deg C and I will be bottling it in the next few days.

Happy Brewing

Colin.

Back