New Sodastream adapter - Again!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoncbn

Reaction score
Sorry to bring up this subject again, but I seemed to be going round in circles with other posts on this subject.
Up till now I have been using the Hambleton Bard CO2 bottles, squirting it in when necessary via the S30 valve. Living in France it is impossible to get refills; I have tried when in England but with no luck. The solution for me seems to be the sodastream (new thread version) which is readily available here. I have ordered an adapter from a German site (I can't post it being a new usqer) which outputs to a 1/2 inch male thread, standard CO2 I believe. I have read that people think it simply connects to the old sodastream adapter and then to the S30 valve.
2 questions:
Has anybody actually done it; does it work?
How does the old adapter connect to the S30 valve; is it a permanent connection or some type of push on fitting, and will I need 3 hands to use it?
I'm sure that the perfect solution/adapter is out there somewhere; in the meantime I inject an 8g bulb from time to time, but I prefer to be able to control the amount of gas that goes in.

Hi
I think I've looked a them all! But I can't get the definitive answers to my questions. Anyway the adapter is on it's way, so I'll see when I get it what needs to be done.
Cheers

I have an old type soda stream to S30 adaptor which zou screw onto the end of the old, normal thread, bottle and, at zour leisure zou pressuriye sour keg bus pressing the bottle adaptor combination in to the S30 valve.

I think the new soda stream bottles have a trapeyoid thread.

Thanks Titus; at least now I know how the old adapter works. Now I need to know if the new one screws into the old one!

Hi Simon

I'm in a similar state as you in that I use the old style SodaStream bottles (GA320 thread) with an S30 Adapter. Now the only the new bottles are available with the new style trapezoidal threads, so I'm in need of an adapter too. I did a quick test with some plumbing spares I had at home and found that the GA320 (22mm dia, 14 tpi) fitting on the old sodastream cylinder seems to fit 1/2" BSP (~21mm 14tpi) fine.
I'm not sure what you would do about pressing the needle valve in the sodastream adapter however. The Sodastream to S30 adapter relies on a central tube that is loose. When you press down on the adapter this presses down on the needle valve and the C02 is injected into your barrel. If your adapter is like the one on ebay (I cant post URLs either - search for Sodastream CO2 Adapter on ebay uk) then this has a built in pin. When you screw this adapter on to the bottle, the build in pin presses on the needle valve and the CO2 is released. I was thinking along the lines of drilling out this central pin and replacing it with a cunning mechanism (a nail perhaps) that would only operate the pin valve when the whole contraption was pushed into the S30 barrel. (I haven't got a new style soda stream bottle, or an adapter yet, so I haven't tried this for real)

Hope this helps

Hi
I thought it had gone dead! Just to be clear, what I have ben doing is screwing the HB CO2 botles direct into the S30 valve; I've never had the old sodastream CO2, and therefore no adapter. As I can't get HB refills I have ordered and just received the German adapter which outputs to a standard plumbing thread (3/4" I think). In the adapter is a brass pin which, when you screw it onto the new sodastream bottle it opens the bottle valve and allows the CO2 to flow. What I was hoping to do was to find some plumbing bits to connect the new adapter direct to the S30 valve, but the S30 is not a standard size, at least not out here. Do you (or anybody) know the specs of the S30 valve so that I can find an adapter that goes in between the German adapter and the S30 valve. OR, (and I don't know exactly how the old sodastream to S30 adapter worked) will the output of the German adapter screw into the old SS adapter, and if so, how will the gas flow through the combo into the keg (plastic)?
Long winded but hopefully now clear.

Yes, I think that's clear. It sounds like the German adapter you have is the same as the one I saw on the UK ebay.

I've just measured my S30 inlet on my Barrels and they seem to be (yet another!) non standard metric thread M18 x 2, so I don't know easy its going to be to get anything to fit them. My guess is impossible unless you have a friend with a lathe.

The only sorts of adapters I've seen are ones that people have made e.g.:
viewtopic.php?f=23&p=190529
(If I still cant post URLs look for the thread in this forum with the title 'S30 adapter fitting')

The old sodastream injector I have at the moment doesn't use the thread on the outside of the barrel's S30 connector, it has a central nozzle that is a tight(ish) fit into the hole in the middle

SOD20124928.jpg

As an aside, I think that I'm going to think about refilling my own old sodastream cylinders myself. It would seem that fire extinguishers would be ideal for this. I've just missed two second hand ones on eaby near me that would have cost me £10 and given me 2kg of Co2 each. They've got standard BSP fittings, filling stations (filling tubes with the valves on) designed for paintball guns are reasonably priced, and extinguishers are fitted with internal 'dip tubes' which mean you don't have to stand them upside down to fill anything. I'll be using the old sodastream cylinders to refill as the new ones have some strange valve inside that can make them difficult to fill apparently (not to mention that weird thread)

For soda stream cylinders the German Aquarium market seems to have it licked (soda stream is called soda club) - i used an adaptor from Germany to adapt the Soda stream bottle to a welding regulator for my portable Co2 setup.

the adaptor is from here not there are others available other than the 90degree bend: http://www.magnetventile-shop.de/store- ... %2F&seo=14

I've just won a 5kg extinguisher on ebay for £30 so it looks like I will be refilling my own cylinders. 5kg should give me about 20 refills of the old cylinders which should last me a good few years.

Finally, I have gas!! I can confirm that the old sodastream brass adapter fits into the german new sodastream adapter. You need to remove the central brass screw from the german adapter and replace it with a suitable length nail or other pin so that when the assembly is pushed onto the S30 valve the central brass shaft in the old adapter pushes up the nail and opens the new sodastream bottle letting you taste your beer which has been locked in the barrel for 2 weeks :cheers: It obviously costs a bit at first but then it's just a case of getting sodastream refills.

Cheers

Great to hear confirmation that this does indeed work... I have been exploring the same issue on another thread here today! viewtopic.php?f=36&t=34523

Can you confirm what part you ordered, what website you got it from, and how much you paid including tax and postage.

I think you got the adapter from a German website ... my German is a bit rusty so any help is appreciated

Thanks

I agree, but they only send by DPD and it comes out as €18 on the site.

Latest posts

Back