Brewing with Carbonated water?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemok

Reaction score
Hi

I've found the answers to most of my questions by searching the forum but could see anywhere this had been asked.

I don't have nearly enough bottles to bottle my first brew I'm probably going to use plastic bottles. Is it going to ruin my beer if I buy carbonated water for the 500ml bottles and instead of tipping it down the sink put it in the FV? Any while I'm asking has anyone tried using the bottles from non-carbonated water 'cause they look the same to me :hmm: .

I know it costs me the same either way just don't like chucking anything away, even water :!:

hi, i'm not sure on the little bottles but i'm pretty sure tesco value still water bottles in 2ltrs are the same as the carbonated ones they use for fizzy drinks, maybe someone who has used the smaller ones will know, i tend to go round pinching evry1's old pepsi/7up/dr pepper 500ml bottles.

jon

DO NOT USE CARBONATED WATER TO BREW WITH!!

Basically it contains high levels of the bicarbonate ion, and although the majority of bicarbonate will gas off as CO2, enough will remain to seriously f*ck up your mash pH.

All PET Bottles are designed to take pressure . . . so using still water (Tesco Ashbeck, Aqua Pura, Asda Value) is much more suitable.

Cheers Aleman, I guessed it'd be a bad idea but figured I may as well ask.
My kits just turned up so I'd best be off to the shops and buy this water ........ while I'm there it'd be rude not to see if there is any beer on offer :drink:

Latest posts

Back