Golden Sheep Clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fancy getting that yeast book. It would be good to know about the different characteristics of different yeasts.

I've got the safale 04 and 05 to try out.

(I'm having a real battle with autocorrect here, it's convinced that safale is safari)

I have enough maris otter and torrified wheat to do a 19/23l batch so would like to give it a crack as I love the golden sheep, but I dont have those hops.

I have bramling cross and target to use as they are already open and safely stored in the freezer so will let you know how it tastes in a few weeks from now

I have enough maris otter and torrified wheat to do a 19/23l batch so would like to give it a crack as I love the golden sheep, but I dont have those hops.

I have bramling cross and target to use as they are already open and safely stored in the freezer so will let you know how it tastes in a few weeks from now

Mine still has that rubbery taste from the grommet but you can only taste it if you hold it in your mouth, not there if you just drink it normally.

I'd be interested in the results of your alternative hopping.

Are you going to use the same water and salts or just go for it ? The water was tesco's Ashbourne £2 for 10 litres. The salts are there to try and match the profile of the water that serves Masham (I realise they will treat it before use but you have to try :( ).

I know this is an old thread, but how did the final beer turn out?? (accepting SAT). I've just consumed a bottle this evening and I like it. There is a distinct golden colour /orange hue (according to the wife...I'm a bit colourblind) that I wouldn't expect from just Maris Otter, I'm wondering if they use vienna and or Munich as well. Also there's a soft soapy sweetness that reminded me of some Badger beers.....not sure how to replicate that....maybe a very light cara??

I know this is an old thread, but how did the final beer turn out?? (accepting SAT). I've just consumed a bottle this evening and I like it. There is a distinct golden colour /orange hue (according to the wife...I'm a bit colourblind) that I wouldn't expect from just Maris Otter, I'm wondering if they use vienna and or Munich as well. Also there's a soft soapy sweetness that reminded me of some Badger beers.....not sure how to replicate that....maybe a very light cara??

Every one I had had the rubbery taste. Had a check last night and there is one half litre bottle left. Looks darker than I remember it.

The recipe was what I derived from the website. I'll do some more research.

Might have another go as I want to brew something this weekend.

Every one I had had the rubbery taste. Had a check last night and there is one half litre bottle left. Looks darker than I remember it.

The recipe was what I derived from the website. I'll do some more research.

Might have another go as I want to brew something this weekend.

Just checked the website and they describe it as a Blonde which is around 6-12 EBC. My Maris Otter only (apart from torrified wheat) recipe is 11.2 EBC according to BrewMate. So I'm going to give it another go with my original recipe (apart from batch size and minerals as I use different water now).

Just checked the website and they describe it as a Blonde which is around 6-12 EBC. My Maris Otter only (apart from torrified wheat) recipe is 11.2 EBC according to BrewMate. So I'm going to give it another go with my original recipe (apart from batch size and minerals as I use different water now).

Amended recipe. Instead of trying to match the water profile for Masham I've used a light and hoppy profile.

Golden Sheep Clone 20 ltr
Blonde Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 20.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.400
Total Hops (g): 44.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.049 (°P): 12.1
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.81 %
Colour (SRM): 5.8 (EBC): 11.4
Bitterness (IBU): 21.8 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.200 kg Maris Otter Malt (95.45%)
0.200 kg Torrified Wheat (4.55%)

Hop Bill
----------------
11.0 g First Gold Leaf (7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
11.0 g Fuggles Leaf (4% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)
22.0 g Challenger Leaf (7.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.1 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
2.0 g Calcium Chloride @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
1.0 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)
5.0 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) @ 60 Minutes (Mash)

Single step Infusion at 66°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 20°C with Danstar Nottingham

Recipe Generated with BrewMate

Finally got round to brewing this. I added some cara gold to deepen the colour a bit.

I pitched it onto the trub of the ordinarÅ· bitter (which had been sitting at 5c for the last two weeks).

Still seemed a bit light coloured.

Watch this space :-)

I got worried about this brew because the temperature (which I use to monitor how brews are going) went up and down in two days. I thought there was a problem until I took a sample and measured its SG last night, down from 1052 to 1015! Obviously the massive amount of yeast in the trub made short work of it.

It's made me think about how much yeast I'm going to use and starters etc. for future brews.

I got worried about this brew because the temperature (which I use to monitor how brews are going) went up and down in two days. I thought there was a problem until I took a sample and measured its SG last night, down from 1052 to 1015! Obviously the massive amount of yeast in the trub made short work of it.

It's made me think about how much yeast I'm going to use and starters etc. for future brews.

Yeah, more yeast than you need.

Btw, caragold is very pale, won't add much colour.

curious to see what the colour of yours looks like. This is my Golden Ale attempt which was 50/50 Maris/Vienna plus a bit carapils...not fully cleared since only bottled a couple of days ago. I'm a bit colourblind but it looks more of a golden orange than golden yellow I was after. Not sure if Carahell will produce a golden yellow colour?

Resize of Rotation of P1030772.jpg

50% Vienna gives you that orange. Obviously. Let us know how that works with the Galaxy!

50% Vienna gives you that orange. Obviously. Let us know how that works with the Galaxy!
Iv'e got a 330ml PET bottle in the fridge cooling (baggybill mentioned using a pet bottle when bottling so you can monitor how it carbs up......good tip) which I will sample this evening and report back....it smells really good and citrusy.

Am consuming my first pint of this stuff...was a 680ml PET bottle not 330. Not properly carbed up and a bit young..only bottled it on Tuesday after 10 days in the primary, but its' going to be nice.. Those Galaxy hops are interesting, a little citrus but lots of other fruit flavours. The brew has a residual sweetness... not sure if carapils or the 50% vienna but it's good. If it was a little sweeter, slightly less hops (is calculated 42 IBU) and a touch of peach essence it would be very very close to Badger Golden Glory. So experiment successful (apart from lack of yellow colour..but colour is close to Golden Glory so I'm not complaining).

Got it into the Corny last weekend. Experimented with quick carbonation (laying it on its side and rocking it whilst listening to the gas hiss in). Massively over-carbonated it as a result. It pours an inverse pint - 1cm of beer and the rest head :-(. I have to pour it into three glasses, let them settle a bit and then combine them into one glass.

I'm going to have to do another quick carb (only quicker this time) with my next brew to see if I can get it right.

Like Clibit suggested it's quite pale.

Tastes nice though :)

Back