Grainfather brewday #1

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Good write up. Don't take this the wrong way but did it feel like cheating a bit? Just wondering if the automation took anything away from the 'crafting'?

Given the amount of burns and small cuts on my hands I didn't feel like I cheated. :lol:
Will see how the next brew feels although the only difference from a 3 vessel setup is that you don't need to transfer the wort, the steps are still the same.

Just tried my first bottle (only been bottled 2.5 weeks, I couldn't wait any longer!) and it's great already, another week or two conditioning and i reckon it'll be fantastic. Didn't taste like an 8% beer mind.

Just tried my first AG bottle - it's been 24 hours! A bit cloudy but already lacing up the side of the glass. Tastes good even though it's very young.

Just tried my first AG bottle - it's been 24 hours! A bit cloudy but already lacing up the side of the glass. Tastes good even though it's very young.

24 hours - I think the daught's say something like "Easy, Tiger" in this situation :whistle:

24 hours - I think the daught's say something like "Easy, Tiger" in this situation :whistle:

I look at it as an experiment - I want it to see how long it takes before SWMBO starts complaining about the gas from my rear end!

enjoyed your write up. shame about the split tube and injuries.. perhaps i missed it but did sanitise the chiller with a recirculation of the boil?

I look at it as an experiment - I want it to see how long it takes before SWMBO starts complaining about the gas from my rear end!

Complaints about farting are a recurring theme in all real marriages. Only ones to Kim Kardashian finish before the first noticable fart is emitted.

Many apologies for being much off-topic, here, but "Keeping up with Kardashians" is the 3rd or 4th most popular show on the downstairs TV,

I enjoyed the write-up too, nice work.

Must say I laughed out loud when I saw the picture with the step ladders in the kitchen :D, if my missus had seen me do that most of what she said would not have been printable (maybe the exclamation marks). I'll show her the picture and report what she says.

Injury is an almost essential part of DIY for me, I can't do any kind of construction/fixing without drawing blood at some point.

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=53160

Hi,

I've just finished my second brew with the Grainfather. On the first one I had similar problems to you and managed a couple of burns before donning a large pair of rubber gloves for safety! Both brews were pretty standard bitters and I'm pleased with them.

I don't think I would have returned to homebrewing (after 30 years) if it had not been for the Grainfather. For me it takes out a lot of the cooker-top shennanigins that I would otherwise have to undergo.

One thing I have noticed is the need to top up my recipes with extra sparge water to get the required final amount. Is that maybe because the Grainfather boil is quite fierce so you get more evaporation?

Hi,

I've just finished my second brew with the Grainfather. On the first one I had similar problems to you and managed a couple of burns before donning a large pair of rubber gloves for safety! Both brews were pretty standard bitters and I'm pleased with them.

I don't think I would have returned to homebrewing (after 30 years) if it had not been for the Grainfather. For me it takes out a lot of the cooker-top shennanigins that I would otherwise have to undergo.

One thing I have noticed is the need to top up my recipes with extra sparge water to get the required final amount. Is that maybe because the Grainfather boil is quite fierce so you get more evaporation?

I get less than expected volumes too, I'm speaking to the grainfather people about it and I'll make meticulous records for my next brew and if it's short they're going to try and figure out why.

Latest posts

Back