Good morning.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am up early as I have to drive a fair distance to work, I have just noticed a post by Personal so I am not alone, what brings you to the forum at this time of the day?

I am up early as I have to drive a fair distance to work, I have just noticed a post by Personal so I am not alone, what brings you to the forum at this time of the day?

i have been a little under the weather and ended up resting most of the day as it would happen im tired and ill on my days off ( typical)

as i was resting/sleeping during the day i couldnt sleep in the night - so thought i would catch up on the forum - i have to make a post about my latest brew experiment actually

how far have you got to travel

Its not so much the distance as the roads in the Lakes, i like to set off early as you never know if they will be open especially when we have bad weather, the A592 was closed for many hours yesterday due to a fallen tree and the detours can be quite lengthy and slow going.

My son is autistic and for years we were up through the night so I have developed the habit of very little sleep.For teh US election I stayed up till 5:00 AM and then got up again about 7:50 AM. I am ofteh up till 4 ish in the morning and reviewing/posting here and in a Facebook group.

Its not that I don't sleep well, I do, just that I don't need as much sleep. It's useful on brewdays when I get up around 6 ish to start brewing and also for Ashes tests in Australia.

The best part of the day in Spring and Summer is at sun up so it's a shame never to see it!

Its not so much the distance as the roads in the Lakes, i like to set off early as you never know if they will be open especially when we have bad weather, the A592 was closed for many hours yesterday due to a fallen tree and the detours can be quite lengthy and slow going.

Where in the Lakes are you Chippy - Mrs AK and I had a fab week up there in May this year near Grizedale forest. Beautiful part of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where in the Lakes are you Chippy - Mrs AK and I had a fab week up there in May this year near Grizedale forest, Beautiful part of the world

I live in Ulverston which is only 15 miles from Grizedale.

I guess you don't appreciate the place you live when you have lived there all your life, here are a few pictures of the place.

Hoad Monument (the Sir John Barrow Monument) commemorates Sir John Barrow who was born in Ulverston in 1764. Sir John was a founder member of the Royal Geographic Society, and held various government posts in the 19th century becoming the Second Secretary to the Admiralty.

Note the monument above the town in picture one.

market_cross.jpg

ulversq.jpg

1-ulverston-me3.jpg

885px-Market_Street,_Ulverston.jpg

shoppingulv.jpg

2529c7a7f48179a3dcc78ab5d4923638

dl082574a.jpg

6-coronationhall-me99y.jpg

14%2BLaurel%2Band%2BHardy%252C%2BUlverston.JPG

sssssssssssssssssssssss.jpg

Beautiful part of the world !! Heading back for a week in May next year.

We nearly walked up to that monument . Did some cracking fell walks !

Very jealous !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The monument is open to the public on Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from 1pm to 5pm, from Easter to the end of October, when the flag on the hill is flying.

the-hoad-monument.jpg

hoad7.JPG

the-hoad-monument.jpg

the-hoad-monument.jpg

hoadtopcloseup04june2007.jpg

My grandma and grandad used to have a fruit and veg stall in the market hall there back in the 70s. I've not been there for a few years but those photos bring back memories.

Been up Hoad many times, great views from there over Morecambe Bay.

Didn't Ulverston used to have the most pubs per person in the UK?

I think that is Dalton the next town along the A590.

What was the name on the stall?

I can't remember if there was a sign with their name but they were called Dixon. It was right in front of you as you went in the front entrance.

I can't remember if there was a sign with their name but they were called Dixon. It was right in front of you as you went in the front entrance.

I am guessing the Metcalfe family bought it off them as they have owned it many years.

mainMediaSize=0x480_x0=_x1=_y0=_y1=_format=_type=image_publish=true_alf_ticket=guest_image.jpg

banannas.jpg

2011_0220BO.JPG

2011_0220BK.JPG

2011_0220BJ.JPG

ulverston-ulverston-indoor-market-the-book-shack.JPG

2011_0220BM.JPG

2011_0220BL.JPG

Apparently they sold it to someone called Benn who the Metcalfes must have bought it off. Thanks for posting the photos. The stall looks just like it did 40 years ago. Nice to see the cafe too. I was allowed a Club biscuit from there if I'd been good!

i seem to remember it being named Benn, glad you liked the trip down memory lane. :wink:

I dont think Stan laurel is massively underated chippy more the opposite,a great never to be seen again comedian,actor admired the world over still.still love the L&H films and shorts that still entertain new generations years after their demise

I watched a few videos on you-tube after i posted this, they still make me laugh.

Chippy,when I was younger my pals dad had a trotting horse and we would head to Kendal for the weekend,think that stopped long ago though.

Latest posts

Back