Dirty cars

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I washed mine a couple of days ago and it now looks like this (not my car in pics) apparently sand from the Sahara desert is to blame, that's a fair distance to travel.

Did yours get covered?

1694098489537.png
1694098514999.png

The Met Office says the reason cars and surfaces have been left "dirty" is down to the Sahara desert.

Stephen Dixon, a Met Office spokesperson, said: "Saharan dust has been in the atmosphere around the UK in recent days.

"Some of this has been rained out in early morning showers, which gives this ‘dirty’ look that some people will have noticed on their car this morning.

"The levels of Saharan dust is lower in concentration over the coming days, before moving away early next week."

What is Saharan dust?

Saharan dust is a mixture of sand and dust from the Sahara, the vast desert area that covers most of North Africa.

How does it get to the UK?

When the wind blows strongly over deserts it can whip up dust and sand into the sky.

If the winds in the upper part of the atmosphere are blowing north, the dust can be carried as far as the UK.

Once it is lifted from the ground by strong winds, clouds of dust can reach very high altitudes and be transported worldwide, covering thousands of miles.

As raindrops fall they collect particles of dust on the way down, and when the raindrops land on something and eventually evaporate, they leave behind a layer of dust.

Is it common?

Saharan dust is relatively common in the UK often happening several times a year when big dust storms in the Sahara coincide with southerly wind patterns.

What else will it effect?

In certain weather situations, Saharan dust can also affect air pollution and pollution levels.

The particles can be breathed in and enter your lungs and blood stream, potentially triggering asthma attacks in people who have asthma and aggravating other respiratory conditions.

Saharan dust worsens air quality and increases the levels of particulate matter in the air.

According to DEFRA, it will particularly effect Frida7, 8 September, as levels of Moderate air pollution are expected to be more widespread as light winds and very warm conditions persist.

High levels of air pollution could even be reached, mainly in Northern Ireland and around busy population centres across England.

https://www.itv.com/news/granada/2023-09-07/why-were-cars-covered-in-a-layer-of-dust-this-morning

Had similar last year where the sand was red which looked very surreal, of course it came just after I had washed the car. Was hard work to get it off the plastic front grilles

The Met Office says the reason cars and surfaces have been left "dirty" is down to the Sahara desert.
So much for "control of our borders"!
Washing your car is a mistake. Layers of mud and gunk actually protect the paint from the damaging effect of the sun.

Latest posts

Back