1 gallon homebrew fermentation question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thebaron1974

Reaction score
Hi. Just after some reassurance really! I made up a 1 gallon American IPA from alesmithing on Sunday afternoon and it's been bubbling away since Monday, however I noticed is all quiet this morning.....the kit instructions say to bottle it after 5 days (which would be Friday afternoon) so I'm thinking this is ok and primary fermentation is completed but just seems a little quick? I didn't take any readings so can't check if fermentation is completed that way, but some reassurance would be appreciated!

Hello and welcome!

I would say 5 days is very optimistic. General consensus seems to be, for starting out, 2 weeks fermenting, 2 weeks conditioning (in bottles at room temperature, if bottling), 2 weeks cool conditioning (at cellar temperature ~12c). If I’ve got that wrong someone please correct me!

Actual time for fermentation to be properly complete has a lot of variables, including ingredients, temperature and yeast type.

If you didn’t take a hydrometer reading at the start you will have difficulty measuring your exact finished alcohol %, but you can still confirm when fermentation has stopped. Once you’re convinced fermentation has stopped, carefully take a hydrometer (and temperature) reading. Give it a couple more days. Take another reading and if it is still the same (at the same temperature) fermentation has finished.

The worst thing about starting home brewing is having to be patient! Try not to rush it out too fast, even after initial fermentation has finished (and the beer looks still and is not bubbling) the yeast is still working to clean up its nasty tasting byproducts. Worst case scenario is it hasn’t finished and you bottle too early. The yeast keeps producing more CO2 than the bottle can take and it explodes!

I’m sure it will turn out fine- keep us posted!

My thoughts echo yours to be honest. It can't hurt to just leave it two weeks and bottle then! Who knows I might get home tonight and it'll start 'farting' again! Thanks for your input!!

Checked it last night and there is a lovely thick foamy layer on top of the brew so I am thinking just leave it be for now!

BCFCE7A3-9F5A-4EA7-A43F-E5046093AFD4.gif

Latest posts

Back