10l fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good, I have a 20L Speidel fermenter that's very similar. Easy to clean because of the wide mouth on top, transparent enough but not too transparent, and I'm quite chuffed with the handles.
But 10 liters, if you take into consideration a headspace of 25% leaves about only 7.5 liters per batch.
Another advantage of Speidel: taps, bungs and waterlocks are interchangeable.

Last edited:
Speidel do a 12 litre which is about right for a 10 litre batch, I already have the 30L but wanted something smaller so bought the 12 litre.
They can be bought direct from Speidel, takes about a week.
Speidel

I have some Speidel 12L fermenters - good for splitting a batch and fermenting with different yeast strains or trying different boil lengths and post-boil hopping regimes on the same batch. I also use mine for serving cask ales.

I have some Speidel 12L fermenters - good for splitting a batch and fermenting with different yeast strains or trying different boil lengths and post-boil hopping regimes on the same batch. I also use mine for serving cask ales.
How do you have them fitted out for serving cask ales?

The Speidel lids have a threaded spigot with a removable cap on them. I just use them like a pressure barrel with a low level of priming and loosen the cap to allow air in as necessary as you would loosen the spile on a cask. It does mean the beer has to be drunk within a few days after allowing air in which is why 12L works better for me than 25L. I’m not sure the Speidels are pressure-rated but I haven’t had any problem to date. I wouldn’t want to try it with high levels of carbonation.

The Speidel lids have a threaded spigot with a removable cap on them. I just use them like a pressure barrel with a low level of priming and loosen the cap to allow air in as necessary as you would loosen the spile on a cask. It does mean the beer has to be drunk within a few days after allowing air in which is why 12L works better for me than 25L. I’m not sure the Speidels are pressure-rated but I haven’t had any problem to date. I wouldn’t want to try it with high levels of carbonation.
Right, I've never used a pressure barrel, so just add sugar to carbonate to a low level and serve from the tap then? I must give that a try, they do seem high quality made so I guess they would be good for a little pressure.

Just to agrre that they are great for splitting batches, or just trying different dry hops. I would like to split a batch between a lager and an ale but not sure how that would work bittering wise With hop choice

Got my first brew in the small one at the moment. Not had any issues so far, neither has leaked and both seal absolutely fine.

The bottle at the bottom for collecting yeast is a lot smaller and it’s filled a lot quicker (got an imperial stout there with a lot of yeast for the size) so I think I might have to change it more, but i don’t think that will be an issue.

Done 2 brews in the big one and it’s great being able to remove all the trub without moving the beer. I bottled the last batch and the bottles were noticeably clearer as I filled.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Back