13-04-09 double brew single mash

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prolix

Landlord.
Reaction score
Ok here is the plan big mash 10kg maris split it two ways into two boilers and add different hops and grains to each

Brew 1 HT 1040 40L main boiler

7kg Maris otter

50g fuggles 90mins
30g Golgings 15 mins
30g Beobeck 15 mins
20g Goldings 80c
20g Bobeck 80c

whirlflock 15mins

Brew 2 Porter 1040 20L second boiler

3kg Maris otter

300g Crystal 90mins
100g Chocolate 90 mins
100g Black 90mins

40g fuggles 90mins
15g fuggles 15mins

whirlflock 15 mins

main problem is the water chemistry have great water for porter but not for light ales except after treatment great for light ale **** for porter.

Thinking about upping grain bill and then diluting first running with un CRS'd water to raise the CaCO3 though might not bother as the grains are not in the mash.

Any ideas?

mash on was tight fit but we got there.

Misses wants to go to garden centre . Me thinks this will be a long mash.

Good luck Prolix with the brew. Bad luck for being dragged around the garden centre..

Bank Holiday Monday - Garden Centre :eek:

Good luck with the brew :thumb:

bugger the maths is doing my head in.

I forgot that the grains weren't going in the mash so now have tro calculate the amount of wort and at what og to boil before the grains go in for the porter.

going to guess 1 point per 100g so need 20L @ 1035 so 30L @ about 25ish...

stuff that I'll wing it

first boil underway at 1036 so might undershoot a point or two there

bugger forgot the hop strainer on second boiler! :evil:

I'll chuck the grains in in a hop sock that should work then I'll strain it through a sieve I guess :wha:

I need a beer :cheers:

Hey Prolix! It's the mind numbing garden centre trip that has messed with your Brewing Karma. I forgot the hop strainer yesterday too but the hops were whizzing around the boiler as I noticed it winking at me on the counter. Sieve fixed over the tap and a VERY slow run off but the brew itself was clear as a bell. Good luck, it's all good fun and ultimately it's all delicious.

both to bed HT 42L @ 1042 and Porter 21L @ 1042

so 85% efficency not bad, bit concerned the HT will not be as clear as normal as had to share sockets so no really vigourous boil but I have a pewter tankard :thumb:

Mate thats superb - you earned a beer :cheers:

Thats the sort of brewing I love :clap:

Latest posts

Back