1st All Grain Brew Day (BIAB) HBC American Double IPA Mash Kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated! I'll post an update in a couple of weeks when its had time to condition.

Mine (which is an old style) also has holes all round - the OP's issue appear to be if you position the strainer so its sitting at the very bottom of the boiler then it blocks. Also worth drilling more small holes in the 'S' bend area near where it pushes into the tap.

The holes are most of the way round the pipe but my filter has nowhere near the number of holes in it that yours has Spapro so I will have a go at drilling some additional holes in the swept bend connectors as you have suggested. Just by twisting the filter so that it sat a couple of inches above the bottom really did help though. My second AG, which is currently in the FV, has only got about an inch of trub whereas the first batch had a good three inches I would say.

The holes are most of the way round the pipe but my filter has nowhere near the number of holes in it that yours has Spapro so I will have a go at drilling some additional holes in the swept bend connectors as you have suggested. Just by twisting the filter so that it sat a couple of inches above the bottom really did help though. My second AG, which is currently in the FV, has only got about an inch of trub whereas the first batch had a good three inches I would say.

Holes on your S bend sounds like the way forward - and position like you say. Sound like you made good progress wiht your 2nd AG brew already, I usually end up with somewhere between 1/2" and an 1" of sediment in my FV.

Latest posts

Back