Anybody able to achieve ~80% mash efficiency with BIAB?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used to think one of the best things about BIAB was that You just mashed in and then ent on to the boil, non faf in a sparge. Of course that is not to say you cannot do that , I am no purist in any sense but a big part I used to appreciate was the fact it was so simple, and getting 75% efficiency doing that is pretty good.

You can introduce a dunk sparge but the trade off is it may be more time and faf for what will be very little difference ultimatley.

Evevn now I have an AIO Hopcat, I just full volume mash recirculate and rinse off and boil.

I cannot be bothered with a sparge stage which may push my 75 towards an 80% because it is easy and most importantly consistent.

But it is up to you, if you want to chase the hugher number a dunk sparge will help, but do not feel it is something you must do or somethin that will improve your beer because from the sounds of it you are doing a very good job right now.

Doing a dunk sparge is only a tiny bit of faff and doesn't make the brew day longer because you do it whil the wort is heating up for the boil. At least, that's how I do it - hoist the bag out and turn the dial up to boil, drain then dunk sparge, hoist the bag out and drain, tip the sparge liquid into the boiler.
I then hoist the bag up above the boiler to further drain while the boil is happening.

Easiest way to explain is in calculators at the top of the page. The OP questioned mash efficiency whereas he was actually questioning brew house (system efficiency) what the OP is getting at 70 to 75% is average for what most home brewers will get.
Low pH, grain crush and consistent mash temperature suitable to the beer you are brewing to convert the starch.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewhouse-efficiency/
No, I'm questioning mash efficiency. The amount of fermentable you achieve from the mash. My brewhouse efficiency is fine. I don't waste much between mash, boil, fermenting, and kegging.

I use Beersmith. It's measured as a separate variable based upon the amount of grain, the post-mash SG, and the amount of wort.

Latest posts

Back