1st brew of tc

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donny_1972

Reaction score
I have just finished fermenting my 1st 5 litre batch of turbo cider. Og was 1050 and the fg was 1006 making this 5.8%alc. Its now in the bottle and cant wait till it clears so i can samlpe some. I was just wondering if other brewers alc volumes are as 5.8 seems pretty strong.

I think you will find that is fairly average. Most of the concentrated apple juices come in at around 1050 so a FG of around 1006 sounds fair enough - some yeast might even get it down a bit lower and make it drier.

Well i have now sampled my 1st bottle of tc and iam very impressed. In fact my mate drinks magners and he likes it so much he is gonna start brewing tc. So its by by to brand name ciders and hello to tc and the best bit of all is that i dont have to pay mr darling. :lol: :drink:

ive got 2 turbo ciders clearing,
one with cloudy apple juice,
another with apple and raspberry....looks a little pink,
ive another fermeting since sunday, made with cawstons cloudy pressed apple....

cant wait to try em....they smell fantastic.... :party:

I did myfirst TC not long ago, worked out around 7% although you wouldnt think it, goes down lovely - similar to Blackthorn :thumb:

This one i kegged and did a few bottles, next one is gonna be bottle only so i can share it out with buddies :cheers:

i have another one, bubblin away for 3 days, made from 4 litres of this

DSCF4702.jpg

I made mine with the basic apple juice in sainsbury 56p a Litre , others have said it was fine to use so I also did it

My latest TC was made from "Aldi" apple juice at 56p/ltr.
OG 1042, FG 996 - ABV 6%
A little dry and bland, so black tea and splenda added.
Very reminisent of Blackthorn as I think CS said, will be making more!

I went to stresco last night and stocked up with value apple juice. The wee girl in the till did give me a funny look when i put 15 ltrs on the belt. :D

donny_1972 said:
I went to stresco last night and stocked up with value apple juice. The wee girl in the till did give me a funny look when i put 15 ltrs on the belt. :D

Just look at them strangely and say "water infection" :lol:

I also have a batch of TC in the fermenting bin

OG 1060 (added some sugar) - currently at 1010 and still going.

My worry is that the yeast - Young's cider yeast - might take it down to sub 1000 and make it very dry.

As this is going in the corny keg, can I put it into the secondary fermenting bin and put it somewhere cold before the fermenting has finished or will this make it too yeast?

brobin said:
I also have a batch of TC in the fermenting bin

OG 1060 (added some sugar) - currently at 1010 and still going.

My worry is that the yeast - Young's cider yeast - might take it down to sub 1000 and make it very dry.

As this is going in the corny keg, can I put it into the secondary fermenting bin and put it somewhere cold before the fermenting has finished or will this make it too yeast?
Using Youngs cider yeast (repackaged champagne yeast) will ferment the cider to well below 1.000. If it's going to be force carbonated in a corny then you can wait until it drops to around 1.004 then crash cool to below 10C then add campden tablets and pottasium sorbate to arrest further fermentation :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
Using Youngs cider yeast (repackaged champagne yeast)

I did a 5ltr batch of Ginger Beer yesterday and im planning a 5ltr batch of Cheeky Vimto today. I only used half a packet of Champagne yeast for the Ginger Beer so could I use the other half for the Vimto rather than open the pack of Cidar yeast I got to do this.

Oh I had no idea it was a repackaged champagne yeast!!!

Thanks for the tip off.

I have checked it and it is down to 1005 so I have moved it straight away to the garage to crash cool (pretty cold out there at the moment!

Tried it and it is pretty dry - can I add some apple juice to sweeten it up?

tubby_shaw said:
Yes you can, but it is best practice to use the full packet in each brew ;)

So it makes no difference if its a 5ltr or 25ltr brew its best to use the whole pack of yeast?????.

Will bear that in mind next time thanks.

You know im starting to think you guys know what your doing :D

Hi Tubby Shaw,

How much Potassium Sorbate should I ad to a 23 litre brew?

Latest posts

Back