2 x poor carbonation, same yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martybhoy

Reaction score
About 8 weeks ago I bottled a Belgian blonde ale (using WLP530) carbed it to 2.8 volumes of CO2 with white sugar. Even after 8 weeks in the bottle, it is very poorly carbed.

I saved the yeast slurry and brewed a Belgian dubbel. This one is only 3 weeks in the bottle, and though I planned to lay them down for at least 6 months, my fear got the better of me last night and I opened a bottle, just to test the carbonation, and it is very low again. There is enough yeast at the bottom of the bottles to carb them, so I am wondering if the low carbonation has anything to do with the yeast strain itself, as I have never had this problem before .

OGs were mid 60's for the blonde and 1.072 for the dubbel, and FGs were under 1.010 for both.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Have the bottles been stored at around a constant 20c ?

Bottles stored on a floor will be cooler than ones up high, temp at night can still fluctuate quite a bit to.

Over the winter I was leaving my just bottled crate by the rad because my bottles weren't carbing. The temps over the next few days should help.

They're stored under the stairs right in the middle of the house so I reckon 20°+.

checking my notes, I brewed Orval clone with WLP530 and Rochefort clone with WLP540. Rochefort stopped at some point so I had to save it by doing a yeast starter from Orval clone slurry (just WLP530, before adding brett). I can say that there is nothing wrong with WLP530 yeast and Rochefort clone carbonated absolutely fine in bottles. It does take a bit longer for strong beers though. For Rochefort my OG was 1.076 and finished 1.016

ah, I also I keep it in a room for a few weeks before transferring to my fermentation/conditioning fridge at 12C

Cheers KVSV, I'll persevere with the dubbel, but the blonde is now 9 weeks in the bottle and still almost no carbonation. I think, for whatever reason, I've mucked up the priming somewhere along the line.

Back