25kg bags of grain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Reaction score
Exploring the option of buying a bag from my local micro brewer. Before I enquire I was worried what would be the sensible use by time?
If I can't split the bag with anyone local (TR11 4LJ) it could well be over a year before I use it all up.

A year, maybe 2.

Fresh is best, but don’t worry about using 1 year old grain. I’ve made many a good pint from old grain.

Uncrushed….

Hi mike, i've used old grain with no problems, i'm sure it would be fine. But if you are worried and depending on when you're planning on buying i'd be open to splitting with you, i'm in the TR16 area.

Exploring the option of buying a bag from my local micro brewer. Before I enquire I was worried what would be the sensible use by time?
If I can't split the bag with anyone local (TR11 4LJ) it could well be over a year before I use it all up.
Not an issue.

You might want to consider weighing in into say 4kg tubs and selling. This will keep it airtight. Also distributes the flour husk better than the settlement you get by keep handling the sack.

Bird feed tubs hold 4kg tight.

Buy some self sealing bags off flea Bay and bag it up into 2kg lots...that's what I do. Keeps a year easily.
I do similar, I get 3kg bags using the largest size resealable freezer bags from Sainsbury's (Waitrose didn't have anything suitable & I wasn't going to waste time & fuel trying to save 20p)

I then get 3 of these bags into plastic tubs that used to contain bird food, for an additional layer of protection against accidental damage to the bags.

Air tight pet food storage containers (new) are used by many a home brewer to store grains. You could also put gamma 2 style lids on few buckets to store smaller, pre-weighed amounts of grain. Purportedly, these approches limit effects of by reduces exposure to air. I've never tried storing crushed grain for prolonged periods

I store my 25kg base malt in a 60 litre airtight drum, for my smaller malts I use food grade plastic buckets, I bought a job lot.
Can't recall where from but the same as THESE basically

Been looking at grain storage options for a while. The 60lb gamma lid pet food containers look ideal but are hard to come by here. I recently discovered a company doing gamma bucket deals that looked worthwhile. 2 x 20 litre buckets with gamma seal lids for $40 NZD. I bought 4 post free and they look good, great seals and you can stack them, but how many do you need?

Well first 25kg sack arrived (again post free) and you can near as dammit get it into 2 buckets, a small lidded container can hold the overflow (~ 2kg) or just use it in a brew... 🙂
20231127_124837_copy_1024x740.jpg

20231127_124942_copy_1024x723.jpg

Think I'll buy a couple more so I have Pilsner, Ale and American (pale) ale base grains at hand. Will save heaps on postage when ordering brew ingredients so should be fairly cost-neutral...

Last edited:
1701059385560.png
These are what you need. The 60 litre ones will take a a whole 25 kg, in its sack. They're perfectly airtight and pretty indestructible. About £35 on amazon.

I bought a couple of the blue barrels with screw down black lids a few years ago, they store about 4 pre milled all grain recipes, think I paid £5 for both !! Lids are a bit fiddly but definitely worth it to know that nothing can get in

My son kept dry dog food in his out door shed & rats got in. He’s now bought a galvanised dustbin with a clip on lid. These would keep out rodents. Some plastic dustbins have clip on lids & would be insect proof. These are both readily available.

My son kept dry dog food in his out door shed & rats got in. He’s now bought a galvanised dustbin with a clip on lid. These would keep out rodents. Some plastic dustbins have clip on lids & would be insect proof. These are both readily available.
It needs to be airtight, too, so that damp air doesn't get in and slacken the malt.

Latest posts

Back