2kw induction 32l boil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slackman99

Reaction score
Evening all, currently weighing up options to increase my brew length from the 10l stove top to 23l into the FV.

For reference I BIAB and no chill.

Was all set on a 30l Burco Cygnet which is still an option, but someone suggested an induction hob and stainless steel pot.

The induction and pot appeals for a few reasons;
  • The vessel and electrics are separated. I tend to clean up in the bath, so not having to worry about being careful with wires or the base electrics is appealing.
  • As I already BIAB and no chill, i'm tempted to try ferment in the kettle too so it is literally a 1 vessel system. This appeals because i'm lazy :)
  • Having a 35l brew kettle would allow me to get rid of one of my fermenting buckets and reduce the amount of room my kit takes up.
So now to the question as i'm cheap so need to check my thinking.

I think a 35-36l pot will be needed for 20-23l into the FV with a no sparge approach. Does this sound about right without going down a maxi-biab method?

Will a 2kw induction hob be sufficient to bring 32l of wort to the boil? i would insulate the pot but the brew is likely to be outside. I'd like to avoid buying a 3kw Buffalo if possible.

I spent a month pondering and researching this recently as I wanted to go the induction route as well. I concluded that the Burco/Cygnet route was best due to cost, reliability and simplicity. I’ve done 6 brews from 10 to 21l to FV and think it’s a been a great option.

I think that's the way I'm erring at the moment but liked the ideas of the separate electrics and ease of cleanup. Burco probably is the sensible option

I do 15l brews, so 19l max boil and it just about manages with lid slightly covering.

Its a von chef 2kw induction hob, 6 years old.

The stock pot might not be the best grade for making the best 'connection'

If i was to upgrade in anyway, it would be a buffalo hob.

Like the idea of all in one with electric etc, but as you said it handy to clean a pot

I find with BIAB that the Burco is really easy to clean. Garden hose and light brush and done! Couldn’t be any easier.

Well I have a hose and a brush :)

I'd like 20l into the FV ideally so sounds like a 2kw induction hob might struggle with the boil volume. Not sure I'm keen to spend the money needed for a Buffalo 3kw.

The Burco is pretty good value for money so is looking hard to beat if a 2kw hob won't suffice.

Probably have a few beers and make a half cut purchase :)

Latest posts

Back