25 or 35L kettle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clv

Reaction score
I'd like to start all grain BIAB, so I need a kettle. Keeping things simple, I plan use use my induction hob. I have both a 2kW stand alone unit or the built in kitchen one will do 2.8kW.

~12L is plenty for me to brew in one go so I was initially tempted by the 25L kettle on The Malt Miller. However, the 35L one doesn't cost much more.

1. are these 25/35L kettles on TMM decent quality, work on induction hobs like they say they do?

2. is there any issue brewing 'half' batches of ~12 L in a 35L kettle? I guess the larger surface area just means slightly higher evaporation rates?

3. any thoughts on the SS mesh basket TMM sell compared to a nylon bag?

4. any other brands/suppliers for 25/35L kettles I should be considering?

Thanks

2. No, but you may have to add a couple of litres extra to allow for dead space that the tap won't drain, and to also to get sufficient liquid above either a perforated false bottom or mesh basket when doing the mash.
In fact extra space means you won't be stirring the thing like a maniac to prevent it boiling over when it first comes to the boil.

3. I use a perforated stainless steel false bottom.that came with my boiler. You dont want your mesh bag to touch the heater element/surface as it can potentially melt the bag (had this with small veg mesh bag that I used for hops)

4. I use an electric boiler, not a stove top, so not a direct comparison.

Latest posts

Back