5 Homebrew things I won't do

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know Adnams use a dual strain and I believe Harveys do and their yeast came originally from John Smiths. The man at Green King told me they use several strains within the brewery because of the brands they have taken over so the Old Speckled Hen is brewed with the original Morland yeast.
This may be of interest Yeast map the bottom comment from the beer writer Martin Cornell about the GK yeast.
As for my local yeast Peter the head brewer at Crouch Vale told me they do have their yeast analyzed each year and it remains constant whereas the yeast they gave to Wibblers has varied to an extent they registered it as their own strain but again it remains constant for them. According to this An updated brewing yeast family tree | Suregork Loves Beer the original Ridley's stain is closely related to Timothy Taylor's.
Well. if were going to link to Barclay Perkins, I'll counter with the following passage. It appears odd that breweries would take the retrograde step to Single strains knowing that mixed strains produce better beers in the 1940s. But there we are.

"Pure Yeast Cultures
In "Brewing Science and Practice: Volume II Brewing Processes" (H. Lloyd Hind, London, 1940, pages 800-802) there's another interesting passage about Hansens work with single-cell yeast strains. It discusses experiments at the Worthington brewery in Burton in the 1880's brewing beer with pure strains. The conclusion was that pure strains did not produce better than mixed strains and ib fact had some disadvanatges during secondary fermentation, such as conditioning more slowly in the cask and producing beers which did not age well. It was not recommened for use in beers that were to be kept more than 6 weeks after racking. It says that at the time (1940) only a handful of British brewers used pure strains."

Yeast circa 1900

Sorry never brewed a kit in my life. As for the cost I have not bought any yeast for at least 2 years as I harvest the yeast from each brew. At the moment I am keeping 4 different stains in my fridge and I found providing I use each one within a couple of months it keeps well. Doesn't get any cheaper than sweet FA.

I've got a tripel, hefe, and us west coast stored in my fridge. I might get a kviek for brewing during hotter weather as I don't have a brew fridge (nor the space). I make 5l brews and use about a third of a bottle per brew, every time I finish a bottle I'll reharvest the yeast from the last brew. No starters or fussing about, I just get it to pitching temperature and chuck it in. The only thing I don't do is save yeast from a high gravity brew.

If you ever buy a kit, send the unused dried yeast this way!
I’ve never even used liquid yeast (I’m too tight) is it worth the extra?
Sorry Chippy, probably new thread material
I bought liquid yeast once when it was really hard to get here. I made it last quite a few brews before deciding to stick to dried.

Last edited:
Regarding bike tires: I used kevlar lined tires. So a flat tire (punctured inner tube) would mean a tire in a very bad state. And I'd pay £30 to have the tire and inner tube replaced. Once every few years, in Amsterdam. Worth it, I guess.
Derailing the thread again... Schwalbe Marathon are the dogs. One puncture in 10 years of using them.

Derailing the thread again... Schwalbe Marathon are the dogs. One puncture in 10 years of using them.

Things i'll never do.
1) Put a tube in my tyre. Switched to tubeless three years ago, lower rolling resistance, comfier ride and not had a puncture yet. Keep tyres pure and inner tube free.;)

Of course the dry yeast manufactures are major players, a lot of the newer craft breweries use it, but there are plenty of traditional breweries still maintaining there yeast. One that I sometimes get yeast from Crouch Vale have been using the same yeast since they got it from Ridleys in 1974 and I know they have passed on the yeast on to other local breweries such as Falmers and Wibblers Product categories Homebrew – Yeast they all re-pitch without washing or rinsing.
I have not given up on my Essex yeast it was just sluggish so I am going to buy some yeast nutrient to improve it after all I have only had 14 brews from it which works out 50p per brew and as I stated the 002 has improved by re-pitching, now 20 times and as it is an occasional strain I don't want to lose it.
To the best of my knowledge the procedure yeast banks use is not the same as commercial dried yeast production I thought they used slants and freeze dried to remove moisture not sure what they store would be considered dried yeast as we know it. I can remember Green king Abbot of the 1970's and early 80's as one the finest beers around but they had a fire and lost their yeast. They did revive the yeast from the national collection but I have never had a pint of Abbot since that comes close to the original. I did the Geen King tour several years back and all this was confirmed by the guide who agreed with me about the quality but even with the yeast technology they have said it would take time to improve.
Please don't get me wrong dried yeast has got a place but with a small amount of management live yeast can work out cheaper and can improve over time. Guess I just like to push the boundaries of brewing

This is now getting away from my point that the liquid yeast available to the home brewer can work out cheaper than dried yeast with a little management. I know I have taken it to an extreme but in my opinion they have all remained stable and I feel the 002 has improved. Promise I won't go off topic again guv.

1. Fail to research the malt specifically the maximum recommended about. Learned the hard way.
2. Ignore basic water chemistry.
3. Brew a sour. Just not for me.
4. Brew drunk
5. Buy that shiny glycol chiller at £800. I won't, no honestly I won't.....................well not anytime soon anyway.

Latest posts

Back