5 Lt Mini Kegs on the move

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobsbeer

Reaction score
I usually like to keg my beer. I also like to caravan. Up til now I usually either take bottles or just make do with wine. But I was wondering about using the reusable 5lt kegs. Like all things carbonated they don't like to be shaken then opened I'm sure. But will the small kegs calm down if left overnight before opening? Has anyone taken one of these or even a big keg on an outing in the car?

I live very close to Wadworth's and they sell mini's which they fill from the handpump in their tasting room. These transport fine though they are 'Real Ales' so not sure how the fizzy ones will hold up. It keeps for about a week once opened so why don't you just fill them up before you leave and make sure you don't take any home :D

bobsbeer said:
make sure you don't take any home
Hopefully that won't be a problem as we are away for 10 days. I'm more worried about running out. :D The system can be injected with co2. I didn't secondary ferment this brew but may do for the next batch to see it that helps. At least it should be clearer. My only experience with one of these mini kegs was a Hieni store bought. It was a bit foamy. But they have an internal co2 cycinder so need to be refrigerated to a low temp to calm them down. I would like to have my own beer if possible in an easily transportable format if possible. I'll report back after Easter.

I've got a stack of 5lt kegs, as my local Micro, Stewart Brewing sells their beers in them. I found I could get new bungs, so bought some of them for keeping homebrew fresh.

I sanitise them, prime them as per bottles, and secondary ferment in the Mini kegs.

Yes you need to leave them to settle once you've had them in the car - Stewart Brewing say 24 hrs, but my homebrew seems less affected, so a few hours is usually enough - open the vent on the top slowly to vent the CO2 form secondary fermnetation, and drink!

Just about to take one away me myself, so will see how it travels!

Thanks guys. I have a cornie but didn't want to lug around a full 19lt tank and all the other stuff just for a weekend away. I have filled 2 with Woodfords Wherry and the rest went into a cornie for home consumption. But as we will be parked next to a pub, if it's a total disaster, I do have a plan B. :D

Well, took one away, and the last part of the journey is a bit bumpy.

Left it for a good few hours and it was spot on. Lasted a few days, and starts to get a wee bit flat towards the end, but still drinkable!

Need to buy some more bungs now - Could reuse old ones, but not convinced, and they're only 50p each!

ceejam said:

Left it for a good few hours and it was spot on. Lasted a few days, and starts to get a wee bit flat towards the end, but still drinkable!

Need to buy some more bungs now - Could reuse old ones, but not convinced, and they're only 50p each!

Where do you get the new bungs from? :wha:

screamlead said:
ceejam said:

Where do you get the new bungs from? :wha:

From here, Just ordered 20, and they're £12.50 delivered.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... y_Keg.html

Latest posts

Back